Reuben Foster is getting another chance to restart his NFL career.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Foster is working out with the New York Jets on Thursday, per agent Malki Kawa.
A former first-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers in 2017, injuries relegated the linebacker to 10 games as a rookie in which he compiled 72 tackles, seven for loss. Off-field issues precipitated his swift release from San Francisco in 2018. Foster was suspended for two games to start his second season for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, stemming from a weapons offense and a misdemeanor drug offense. Then, following an arrest for domestic violence, the Niners waived Foster after 16 total games in two seasons.
The former first-rounder hasn't played a regular-season game since.
After being claimed by Washington, Foster was placed on the Reserve/Commissioner Exempt List. In a comeback attempt in 2019, the linebacker suffered a knee injury that included a torn ACL and LCL. He did not play in 2020 due to the knee issue.
Jets coach Robert Saleh was the defensive coordinator in San Francisco during Foster's time with the Niners. The connection could help the 27-year-old land a fresh start in New York on a Jets defense in desperate need of talent. Gang Green placed linebacker Jarrad Davis on injured reserve to open the 2021 season.
- Jacksonville Jaguars running back Travis Etienne (foot) will undergo foot surgery Thursday and has about a four-month recovery, per Rapoport. Also, the Jags placed receiver Tavon Austin on injured reserve.
- Denver Broncos pass rusher Bradley Chubb is dealing with an ankle injury, coach Vic Fangio told reporters. Chubb didn't practice Wednesday and will be held out for the next few days, Fangio added. Chubb is expected to be ready Denver's season opener next Sunday against the Giants.
- The Dallas Cowboys activated wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, safety Damontae Kazee and defensive end Carlos Watkins off the reserve/COVID-19 list. Coach Mike McCarthy told reporters offensive tackle La'el Collins (stinger) will not practice Thursday and likely be out until Sunday. Cornerback Kelvin Joseph, offensive tackle Josh Ball, wide receiver Malik Turner, defensive tackle Neville Gallimore, tight end Sean McKeon and linebacker Francis Bernard were placed on IR.
- Washington coach Ron Rivera said he's "very confident" that wide receiver Curtis Samuel, who's been nursing a groin injury, will be available to play Week 1.
- The Indianapolis Colts activated center Ryan Kelly, wide receiver Zach Pascal and quarterback Carson Wentz from the reserve/COVID-19 list and placed quarterback Sam Ehlinger and wide receivers T.Y. Hilton and Dezmon Patmon on IR.
- New York Giants tight end Evan Engram (calf) isn't practicing Thursday, while running back Saquon Barkley, wide receivers Kenny Golladay and Kadarius Toney and tight end Kyle Rudolph are all participating for the start.
- New York Jets left tackle Mekhi Becton (concussion) returned to practice. Wide receiver Jamison Crowder (groin) is not practicing Thursday, though coach Robert Saleh told reporters he's not concerned about the wideout's Week 1 availability.
- The Seattle Seahawks will place offensive tackle Cedric Ogbuehi on injured reserve, per Rapoport. Ogbuehi is nursing a strained biceps injury but is expected to be ready when he's eligible to return in Week 4, Rapoport added.
- The Philadelphia Eagles placed offensive lineman Jack Driscoll, tight end Tyree Jackson and cornerback Josiah Scott on injured reserve.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Giovani Bernard is dealing with a mild high-ankle sprain, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. The veteran RB is expected to return in time for next week's season opener versus the Cowboys, Pelissero added. Kicker Ryan Succop was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list. Tampa Bay also placed John Molchon on injured reserve.
- The Atlanta Falcons placed offensive lineman Josh Andrews on injured reserve. Pelissero reported Andrews broke his hand in Tuesday's practice.
- The Cincinnati Bengals placed defensive end Khalid Kareem on IR.
- The Detroit Lions placed quarterback Tim Boyle and defensive end Da'Shawn Hand on IR.
- The Los Angeles Rams activated punter Johnny Hekker from the reserve/COVID-19 list, placed linebacker Chris Garrett on the reserve/COVID-19 list and placed offensive tackle Tremayne Anchrum and linebacker Ogbo Okoronkwo on injured reserve.
- The Arizona Cardinals activated offensive line Justin Pugh from the reserve/COVID-19 list, and placed defensive lineman Jordan Phillips on IR.
- The Houston Texans placed defensive back A.J. Moore on IR.
- The Kansas City Chiefs placed linebacker Willie Willie Gay Jr. on IR.
- The Las Vegas Raiders put running back Jalen Richard, linebacker Nicholas Morrow, defensive back Keisean Nixon and defensive back Javin White on IR.
- The Tennessee Titans placed running back Darrynton Evans, wide receiver Marcus Johnson and offensive lineman Daniel Munyer on IR and activated linebacker Nick Dzubnar from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The New England Patriots placed receiver N'Keal Harry on injured reserve and released offensive lineman Marcus Martin with an injury settlement.
- The San Francisco 49ers placed defensive back Davontae Harris and defensive tackle Maurice Hurst on injured reserve.
- The Las Vegas Raiders are signing former Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright to a one-year deal, per Rapoport.
- The Cincinnati Bengals re-signed wide receiver Mike Thomas.
- The Baltimore Ravens re-signed linebacker Pernell McPhee a day after waiving him.
- The Carolina Panthers claimed running back Royce Freeman off waivers from the Broncos. They also added wide receiver Aaron Parker and quarterback James Morgan to the practice squad.
- The Buffalo Bills signed tight end Kahale Warring to their practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions re-signed tight end Darren Fells and safety Dean Marlowe to the 53-man roster and signed linebacker Jessie Lemonier , quarterback Steven Montez, cornerback Parnell Motley and tight ends Jared Pinkney and Shane Zylstra to the practice squad.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed quarterback Sean Mannion and wide receiver Trishton Jackson to the practice squad and former Steelers punter Jordan Berry to the 53-man roster.
- The Indianapolis Colts signed wide receiver Keke Coutee to the practice squad.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed safety Andrew Adams, linebacker Ladarius Hamilton, wide receiver Jaydon Mickens, running back Darwin Thompson and defensive back Troy Warner to their practice squad.
- The Cleveland Browns signed cornerback Tim Harris, offensive tackle Jordan Steckler, kicker Chris Naggar and guard David Moore to the practice squad.
- The Dallas Cowboys signed running back Corey Clement, and added tight end Ian Bunting and long snapper Jake McQuaide to the practice squad.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars are signing quarterback Kyle Lauletta to their practice squad, per Pelissero. The team later announced the move, along with the signing tight end Matt Sokol to the practice squad. The Jags are expected to sign former Seahawks tight end Jacob Hollister, who was a surprise release by the Bills recently, per Pelissero. Kicker Kaare Vedvik also signed with the practice squad, Pelissero reported.
- The Las Vegas Raiders re-signed tight end Derek Carrier and defensive back Dallin Leavitt and signed guard Jermaine Eluemunor. They also signed signed Madre Harper to the practice squad.
- The Seattle Seahawks are signing Mark Vital, who recently played on Baylor University's national championship men's basketball team, to their practice squad as a tight end, per Rapoport. The team later confirmed the move, as well as the signing of defensive back Michael Jackson.
- The Tennessee Titans signed defensive lineman Amani Bledsoe to the practice squad.
- The Green Bay Packers signed long snapper Steven Wirtel to the practice squad.
- The Los Angeles Chargers re-signed cornerback Brandon Facyson to their practice squad after he cleared waivers. They also added defensive lineman Forrest Merrill and wide receiver Austin Proehl.
- The Philadelphia Eagles re-signed defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway, claimed cornerback Andre Chachere off waivers from the Colts and added the following players to the practice squad: tight end Nick Eubanks and receiver KeeSean Johnson.
- The Houston Texans signed linebacker Joe Thomas.
- The New York Giants signed offensive lineman Matt Skura, tight end Chris Myarick, linebacker Trent Harris and receiver Dante Pettis to the practice squad. Harris and Pettis were waived Wednesday.
- The New England Patriots signed quarterback Garrett Gilbert, fullback Ben Mason and linebackers Harvey Langi and Jahlani Tavai to the practice squad.
- The New York Jets signed defensive end Jabari Zuniga to the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed running back Wayne Gallman, who spent the offseason and training camp with the 49ers. Gallman signed with San Francisco after spending his first four seasons with the Giants; he logged a combined 34 carries for 153 yards in three preseason appearances.
- The Chicago Bears signed receiver Rodney Adams to the practice squad.
- The Denver Broncos added defensive lineman Jonathan Harris to their practice squad.
- The San Francisco 49ers re-signed center Jake Brendel and cornerback Dontae Johnson, and signed former Bucs tight end Tanner Hudson.
- The Los Angeles Rams signed guard Jared Hocker to the practice squad.
- The Miami Dolphins added defensive back Tino Ellis, linebacker Shaquem Griffin, receiver Brandon Powell, running back Jordan Scarlett, offensive tackle Kion Smith and defensive end Jason Strowbridge to the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions released linebacker Rashod Berry, defensive tackle Miles Brown, tight end Alize Mack and running back Dedrick Mills from the practice squad.
- The New York Giants waived defensive back Montre Hartage with an injury settlement.
- The Carolina Panthers released cornerback Rashaan Melvin from the practice squad.
- The Green Bay Packers released defensive lineman Willington Previlon.
- The Minnesota Vikings released punter Britton Colquitt.
- The Tennessee Titans released tight end Luke Stocker and running back Brian Hill via an injury settlement.
- The San Francisco 49ers released linebacker Mychal Kendricks off injured reserve.
- The Philadelphia Eagles will be cutting safety Grayland Arnold from the practice squad, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.
- The Atlana Falcons released running back Qadree Ollison.
- The Indianapolis Colts waived defensive back Marvell Tell.