Giants head coach Pat Shurmur announced Wednesday that Collins will "most likely require surgery" and a final decision has yet been made.
Collins, who suffered the injury in Week 13, has already been ruled out for Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport previously reported.
The Giants defense suffers a big setback without Collins, whose 96 total tackles currently leads the team.
The fourth-year pro in in the final year of his contract and is eligible to become a free agent in 2019 unless the Giants designating Collins as a franchise player or sign him to a contract extension ahead of the league's new calendar year.
In other Giants news, wide receiver Sterling Shepard (rib), tight end Evan Engram (hamstring), and linebacker B.J. Goodson (neck) were limited participants in practice. Linebacker Lorenzo Carter (hip) did not practice.
Here are other injuries we are monitoring Wednesday:
- The Cincinnati Bengals shut down wide receiver A.J. Green for the rest of the season, placing him on injured reserve. Green is dealing with a recurring toe injury that could require surgery, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. The Bengals activated cornerback Davontae Harris from IR to take Green's spot on the roster.
In other Bengals injury news, cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick (ankle), tackle Cordy Glenn (back) and linebacker Vontaze Burfict (concussion) did not practice, while running back Joe Mixon (foot), defensive end Carlos Dunlap (hip), and defensive end Michael Johnson (pectoral) were limited.
- Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh announced quarterback Joe Flacco (hip) will practice Wednesday, but the head coach doesn't anticipate Flacco to participate fully. Flacco has missed three straight games, a span where backup quarterback Lamar Jackson has led the Ravens on a three-game winning streak.
In other Ravens injury news, tackle James Hurst was limited in practice, while cornerback Marlon Humphrey (groin), safety Tony Jefferson, and cornerback Tavon Young (groin) missed practice.
- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott said cornerbackTaron Johnson had shoulder surgery Wednesday morning and is out indefinitely.
- The Washington Redskins placed cornerback Quinton Dunbar (leg), wide receiverTrey Quinn (ankle) and guard Jonathan Cooper (biceps) on injured reserve.
Washington running back Adrian Peterson (shoulder), center Chase Roullier (knee), guard Tony Bergstrom (knee/ankle), and defensive lineman Matt Ioannidis (shin) did not practice, while cornerback Josh Norman (hamstring), tackle Morgan Moses (knee) and tackle Trent Williams (thumb/wrist) were limited.
Miami running back Kenyan Drake (shoulder) and wideouts Danny Amendola (knee) and DeVante Parker (shoulder) were limited at practice.
In response to placing three players on IR, the Raiders signed cornerback Bene Benwikiere, running back C.J. Anderson and defensive end Kony Ealy.
- Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanderstore his Achilles tendon during Wednesday's practice, and has been placed on injured reserve, ending his season. The team proceeded to claim wide receiver Andre Holmes off waivers just hours after the Sanders injury happened. Both defensive end Derek Wolfe and cornerback Tramaine Brock sat out practice dealing with rib injuries.
- Jets quarterback Sam Darnold (foot) practiced in full, and is expected to start on Sunday in Buffalo. The rookie hasn't played since Week 9.
- Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry (heel) and wide receiver Sammy Watkins (foot) were limited in practice.
- A day after being activated from the Physically Unable to Perform list, Houston Texans running back D'Onte Foreman was a full participant in practice. Guard Zach Fulton (hand) did not practice.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers wideout DeSean Jackson (thumb) and defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (knee) did not practice.
- New Orleans Saints tackle Terron Armstead (pectoral) returned to practice for the first time since getting injured in the team's Nov. win over the Bengals. Armstead missed three games total because of the injury, and although he was limited, it was a good sign for his return this Sunday. Meanwhile, wide receiver Michael Thomasmissed practice with an ankle injury.
- The Green Bay Packers have placed cornerback Kevin King (hamstring) on injured reserve, and in a corresponding move, claimed CB Natrell Jamerson off waivers.
- San Francisco 49ers running back Matt Brieda (ankle) and Jaquiski Tartt (shoulder) did not practice.
- Los Angeles Chargers defensive tackle Brandon Mebane returned to practice. The 12-year veteran has been away from the team dealing with family matters, forcing him to miss the last two games.
- Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones (foot) did not practice. Linebacker Deion Jones (foot) was limited.
- The Indianapolis Colts are dealing with numerous injuries to start the week. Wide receiver T.Y. Hilton (shoulder), tight end Eric Ebron (back/illness), center Ryan Kelly (knee), defensive end Margus Hunt (knee) and safety Clayton Geathers (knee) all missed practice.