Around the League  

 

Luis Castillo released by San Diego Chargers

It turns out Luis Castillo won't be back with the San Diego Chargers after all.

Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego reported Thursday the team will release Castillo, a defensive end who was the Chargers' first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

The Chargers later confirmed the release.

Coaches Film, only on NFL.com
Purchase NFL Game Rewind and receive access to Coaches Film, which includes camera angles previously only available to coaches, scouts and officials.

» Learn more about Coaches Film

The move is somewhat curious, considering the Chargers re-signed Castillo on April 3. Acee said the two sides had been in communication, and the Chargers decided to get younger at the position. Castillo wasn't a sure thing to make the team out of camp.

Castillo broke his leg in Week 1 last September and missed the remainder of the season. He visited the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots as a free agent before signing a one-year, $1 million deal to return to the San Diego Chargers. It will be interesting to see if those teams now sniff around Castillo.

"Luis is, he was really having an outstanding camp last year and got hurt in the opening game, and he's, I think he's healthy," Turner said in April. "Last time I talked to him, he thought he was making great strides and great rehabilitation. I see him as a good football player."

Something obviously changed between then and now.

Fan Discussion

NFL News
CONTENT
15