The Washington Redskins are preparing to play the Philadelphia Eagles in the season opener Sunday without tight end Jordan Reed (concussion), NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Saturday. The team later confirmed Reed is out.
Tight endJ.P. Holtz has been promoted from the practice squad.
Reed missed three games last season and started only eight. He's yet to play a full season through six years in the league with Washington.
Here is other news we're monitoring on Saturday:
- With his first official start as the Denver Broncos signal-caller upcoming, Joe Flacco and his new team have restructured his contract.
Flacco and the Broncos have agreed to convert $17 million of his base salary into a signing bonus and added two voidable seasons to clear $13.6 million in 2019 salary cap space, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Saturday morning.
Flacco is still due $20.25 million in 2020 and $24.25 million in 2021, Pelissero added.
- The New York Giants entered the week with the NFL's least amount of cap space, but cleared $5 million due to a simple restructure on left tackle Nate Solder's deal, Pelissero reported. The team converted $7.5 million of his base salary to a fully-guaranteed roster bonus. Pelissero added that the cash will remain the same: $13 million in 2019 and 2020 and $14 million in 2021.
- The Carolina Panthers cleared nearly $13 million in cap space with simple restructures on the contracts of defensive tackle Kawaan Short and offensive lineman Trai Turner, Pelissero reported.
- New England Patriots wideout Demaryius Thomas has been fined $10,527 for a low block in the preseason finale against the Giants, per Pelissero.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have added first-round rookie linebackerDevin White (illness) to the injury report and he is questionable for Sunday's game against San Francisco.
- The Indianapolis Colts announced the signing of offensive tackle Tyree St. Louis to the practice squad and released running back Quinton Flowers.
- The Dallas Cowboys have released running back Alfred Morris, Pelissero reported per a source. The move makes room for the returning Ezekiel Elliott.
- The Miami Dolphins announced they signed offensive lineman Jesse Davis to an extension on Saturday. Rapoport reported it is a three-year, $15 million deal with $8.5 fully guaranteed.
- The New England Patriots agreed to a three-year contract extension for cornerback Jonathan Jones with a base salary of $21 million, a max of $25 million and $13 million guaranteed, Rapoport reported per a source. Jones is a former undrafted free agent who's played in all 48 games over three seasons for the Patriots with three starts last year, including in the Super Bowl.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed former Chargers reserve quarterback Cardale Jones to the practice squad, Pelissero reported.
- The Philadelphia Eagles announced they restructured wide receiver Alshon Jeffery's contract on Saturday. Rapoport reported the deal takes the receiver's $11.75 million this season and turns most of it into a signing bonus. Rapoport added that this means $11.5 million next year is now fully guaranteed.
- The Arizona Cardinals have promoted TE Darrell Daniels from the practice squad and plan to release guard Jeremy Vujnovich.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers are releasing LB Tuzar Skipper and promoting WR Johnny Holton to the 53-man roster.
- The New Orleans Saints have announced that both defensive end Mario Edwards Jr. and defensive lineman Sheldon Rankins are OUT for the season opener against the Texans.