Gang Green announced on Wednesday they've placed running back Bilal Powell on injured reserve.
The tailback exited Week 7 with the neck issue that will shelve him for at least eight weeks, likely ending his season.
Coach Todd Bowles said Powell will need surgery. He described his injury as similar to wideout Quincy Enunwa's and adds it might be worse.
The 29-year-old veteran, who has spent his entire eight-year career with the Jets, is set to be a free agent in 2019.
In the backfield Isaiah Crowell is the lead runner -- he too has been dealing with a foot/ankle injury but practiced fully today -- with rookie Trenton Cannon slated for a backup role. Elijah McGuire has been practicing and is eligible to come off IR next week if fully cleared. McGuire could return to a hefty role soon.
Elsewhere in injury news Wednesday:
- Jacksonville Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette (hamstring), cornerbacks Tyler Patmon (neck) and D.J. Hayden (toe), and tight end James O'Shaughnessy (hip) are not expected to practice Wednesday.
- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was limited at practice with a right shoulder injury, however, it does not appear to be a serious issue. Coach Ron Rivera described the injury as "general soreness."
Guy played a heck of a game," Rivera said, adding this could be Newton's new normal each week. "It's that time of year where we have to be smart with our guys."
- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Josh Rosen was limited with a toe injury, but he is expected to be fine for Sunday's game against the Niners.
- Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Derek Barnett (shoulder) is out for the rest of the season, coach Doug Pederson said Wednesday.
- Oakland Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch underwent core muscle surgery after being placed on IR earlier this week, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
Coach Mike Zimmer said there's a pretty good chance Anthony Barr and Xavier Rhodes will be available Sunday. Left guard Tom Compton, however, likely won't play as he deals with an MCL sprain, a source told Pelissero.
- Chiefs safety Daniel Sorensen (tibial plateau fracture) has been designated for return and will practice Wednesday, the team announced.
- Colts coach Frank Reich said there's a chance tight end Jack Doyle (hip) plays in Week 8. He returned to practice today but was limited.
- The Atlanta Falcons placed guard Brandon Fusco (ankle) on injured reserve. He will not play this season.
- Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy said linebacker Khalil Mack likely will take part in practices this week after missing a couple practices last week because of a ankle injury.