Defensive end David Irving was carted off the practice field after suffering an ankle injury, NFL Network's Jane Slater reported, per sources informed of the injury. He was listed as officially limited for the session.
According to Slater and NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport, the initial belief is Irving suffered a high-ankle sprain. Irving's X-rays were negative and he will undergo further testing, per Slater and Rapoport.
Irving missed the first four games of the season due to suspension. He returned to action in Week 6, compiling four tackles and a sack in two games.
If the ankle injury sidelines Irving it would be a noticeable blow to a pass rush that had been hoping to have all its pieces in play for a postseason push. If the fourth-year pro is out for a while, however, it's not like the Cowboys aren't used to not having him available.
Other injuries we're tracking around the league:
- Kansas City Chiefs linebackers Justin Houston (hamstring) and Anthony Hitchens (rib) were participating in start of practice and are expected to be limited, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Wide receiverTyreek Hill (groin) was limited and safety Eric Berry (heel) once again didn't practice.
- New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski did not practice on Thursday because of ankle and back injuries. He was limited in practice Wednesday. Guard Shaq Mason (calf) also didn't practice. Wide receiversJulian Edleman (ankle) and Josh Gordon (hamstring) in addition to running back Sony Michel (knee) and linebacker Dont'a Hightower (knee) were all limited in practice. Offensive tackles Trent Brown (ankle) and Marcus Cannon (concussion) also were limited.
- Buffalo Bills quarterback Derek Anderson (concussion) and Josh Allen (right elbow) did not practice again today. Linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (concussion) and defensive end Trent Murphy (knee) also did not practice Thursday.
- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbackBen Roethlisberger was a full participant in practice after sitting out Wednesday because of a fractured index finger.
In other Vikings news, wide receiver Stefon Diggs missed practice with a ribs injury and linebacker Anthony Barr (hamstring) also sat out. Cornerback Xavier Rhodes (foot) was limited.
- New York Jets wide receivers Robby Anderson (ankle) and Quincy Enunwa (ankle) both did not participate today. Center Spencer Long (knee/finger) was a full participant at practice. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson (quad) was limited.
- Denver Broncos rookie running back Royce Freeman (ankle) did not practice for the second consecutive day this week.
- Atlanta Falcons wideout Mohamed Sanu (hip), cornerback Robert Alford (ankle), and kicker Matt Bryant (hamstring) did not practice today.
- Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah (shoulder), running back Theo Riddick (knee) and guard T.J. Lang (hip) were each limited in practice.
- Houston Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney (groin) and wide receiver Keke Coutee (hamstring) were each limited in practice.
- Baltimore Ravens linebackerC.J. Mosley (thigh) and running back Alex Collins (foot) were each limited in practice.