Getting the dynamic linebacker back on the field will be a boost for an already stout front seven. Alonso, depending on how much he plays in his first game back, should help especially in coverage on passing downs.
After being acquired in a trade for LeSean McCoy in the offseason, Alonso has seven tackles and an interception in less than two games played.
Mathews was held to a low snap count in their last outing due to the injury.
Here's the rest of Friday's injury news:
- Bills wideout Sammy Watkins (ankle) is listed as questionable but Rex Ryan expects him to play Sunday against the Dolphins despite a "hiccup" at Thursday's practice. Fellow wideout Percy Harvin was placed on season-ending injured reserve on Saturday. Tackle Cyrus Koandjio (knee) has been ruled out for Sunday's tilt with Miami.
- Niners running back Carlos Hyde has been ruled out for the second straight week as he deals with a stress fracture in his foot. Fellow running back Mike Davis is also out with a hand injury, leaving little depth at the position between newly-signed Pierre Thomas and Kendall Gaskins. Wideout Anquan Boldin (hamstring) is doubtful.
- Patriots wideout Julian Edelman (knee) and running back Dion Lewis (abdomen) are both probable, while guard Tre Jackson (knee) and offensive tackle Marcus Cannon (toe) have been ruled out, along with defensive end Jabaal Sheard (ankle). Guard Ryan Wendell (knee) is doubtful and guard Shaq Mason (knee) is questionable. Jamie Collins was added to the injury report Saturday with an illness and is questionable.
- The Redskins have a number of key players questionable to play Sunday against the Patriots. Cornerbacks Chris Culliver (knee), DeAngelo Hall (toe) and Bashaud Breeland (hamstring), along with wideout DeSean Jackson (hamstring) and linebacker Ryan Kerrigan (hand). Nose tackle Terrance Knighton (migraine) is ruled out for Sunday.
- Packers wide receiver Ty Montgomery (ankle) and cornerbacks Quinten Rollins (neck) and Sam Shields (shoulder) have been downgraded to doubtful. Tackle Bryan Bulaga (knee), guard T.J. Lang (illness) and linebacker Mike Neal (hip) have been added to the injury report. Bulaga and Lang are probable, while Neal is questionable for Sunday's game against the Panthers.