Kolb has missed time in training camp and needed a big performance to make up ground on Manuel. Instead, Kolb showed off some of the traits that sunk him on the Arizona Cardinals. He didn't make quick decisions or look comfortable in the pocket.
Manuel will have a hard time living up to last year's rookie class, but his performance leaves coach Doug Marrone no other choice.
Here's what else we learned Friday:
- Both Vikings quarterbacks continue to struggle. Christian Ponder made a few nice plays buying time in the pocket, but he also felt pressure when it wasn't there. The Vikings started the game with three consecutive three-and-outs. Ponder is 6-of-14 passing for just 68 yards with one interception in the preseason. Matt Cassel has not played any better.
- Jerry Hughes started in place of Mario Williams and immediately made an impact, beating Matt Kalil for a sack of Ponder on the first snap of the game. Hughes added another sack later. The Bills need some of their secondary pass rushers to step up. Marcell Dareus and the entire Bills' defensive line had a dominant night.
- You never would have known that Tom Brady hurt his knee two days ago. He looked razor sharp for the second consecutive week. Danny Amendola had five catches with Brady in the game in just two drives. Rookie tight end Zach Sudfeld continues to be a factor. It's a little scary how well the Patriots' offense has played in the preseason.
- Terrelle Pryor doesn't look like a real option for the Raiders. He completed one pass and found little success running the read option over three series. Pryor also struggled in the face of pressure, nearly throwing an ugly interception following a bad snap, then getting called for intentional grounding two plays later.
- You can call off the Jon Baldwin search party. We found him in Kansas City. Baldwin was targeted three times, but he failed to make a catch. Baldwin also had an egregious drop on a Smith pass that hit him directly between the numbers. The former first-round draft pick is looking at real estate in Bustville.