Just when you think the Jacksonville Jaguars' season can't get any worse, it gets worse. They lose running back Maurice Jones-Drew (foot) and quarterback Blaine Gabbert (shoulder) to injury. And then Chad Henne helps lose a game to the Oakland Raiders.
Jones-Drew and Gabbert failed to return to the field Sunday, and the Jaguars didn't update their statuses. It has been that kind of season in Jacksonville.
Let's run down the rest of the injuries around the NFL:
- Washington Redskins tight end Fred Davis is out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon. He was the team's leading receiver, so it's a massive loss for an offense that loves to throw inside the numbers. Niles Paul becomes the team's starter for now, but don't be shocked if Washington gives Chris Cooley a call. (UPDATE: That's exactly what the Redskins have done; NFL Network learned Sunday night that pending a physical on Monday, the Redskins will indeed bring back the veteran Cooley.
- Fantasy owners of Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon got some bad news Sunday. Mike Garafolo of USA Today reported that Garcon has a torn tendon in his foot. He might sit out two more games before the Redskins' bye.
- Trent Richardson was benched for ineffectiveness against the Indianapolis Colts, according to Cleveland Browns coach Pat Shurmur. Richardson was struggling to play through a rib injury. He never would have been benched had he been healthy.
- Minnesota Vikings tight end John Carlson was evaluated for post-concussion symptoms after taking a shot against the Arizona Cardinals. He has just three catches this season after signing a big contract in Minnesota.
- Dallas Cowboys center Phil Costa suffered an ankle sprain against the Carolina Panthers. It looked a lot worse than that at the time. It wouldn't be surprising if further tests reveal a long-term injury. Costa was playing at a high level.
- Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee left with a toe injury. He told reporters he'll be ready to play next week, but players always say that after the game. It's more telling that Lee wasn't able to return to the field.
- Houston Texans backup running back Ben Tate suffered a hamstring injury and didn't return against the Baltimore Ravens.
- New Orleans Saints wide receiver Joseph Morgan is in the hospital Sunday night after he suffered lung/rib damage against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Morgan made one of the plays of the year before the injury.
- Tennessee Titans linebacker Zac Diles was carted off against the Buffalo Bills with an ankle injury and didn't return.
- Bills right guard Chad Rinehart was carted off the field against the Titans with an ankle injury. Buffalo already was short two offensive linemen. This is becoming a problem.
- Green Bay Packers defensive end Mike Neal suffered a knee injury and didn't return against the St. Louis Rams.