Smith suffered a torn Achilles tendon last season that caused him to miss half the season. That injury postponed Smith's planned retirement at least another season, as Smith didn't want to go out that way. Now Smith faces another injury hurdle as the Ravens try and get back on track after two home losses following a 3-0 start.
Fellow veteran Ravens receiver Mike Wallace is also nursing a rib injury and donned a red non-contact jersey at practice.
Here are some other injury updates we have on Wednesday:
Rookie safety Su'a Cravens is also in the concussion protocol.
Running back Jonathan Stewart (hamstring) was also limited. Offensive tackle Michael Oher's concussion was "unfortunately" worse than Newton's, Ron Rivera said. Cornerback Robert McClain hamstring) was limited.
- Dolphins running back Arian Foster was limited in practice. He's missed the last three games with a hamstring injury.
- Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul missed practice with a groin injury. Cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Eli Apple were involved in a limited capacity.
- Lions defensive tackle Haloti Ngata is expected to miss two to three weeks, Rapoport reported. He left Sunday's game with a shoulder injury and is still undergoing tests.
- Packers running back Eddie Lacy (ankle) is set to miss practice because he will be in a rehab program Wednesday, coach Mike McCarthy said. In addition, cornerback Sam Shields continues to make progress working through concussion protocol, McCarthy said.
- Patriots tight ends Rob Gronkowski (hamstring) and Martellus Bennett (ankle), linebacker Dont'a Hightower (knee), wideout Julian Edelman (foot) and running back LeGarrette Blount (hip) were all limited in practice.