Clemson offensive tackle Isaiah Battle will enter the NFL supplemental draft next month, and according to NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein, the Denver Broncos and Atlanta Falcons are two teams that could invest a pick in the talented Tigers starter. Denver's interest could stem from a recent injury to Ryan Clady, and Battle's skill set is a good fit for new Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan's scheme, Zierlein noted.
"I have some family matters to address, with a child due this summer, and I feel it is in my best interest to enter the NFL Supplemental Draft," Battle said. "I want to thank everyone at Clemson, especially Coach Swinney and the assistant coaches, for what they have done for me the last three years. I also want to thank my teammates. They have all had a big impact on my career."
Battle has started 16 career games for the Tigers, including 11 last season, and Zierlein said he would be shocked if Battle was not chosen in the draft. The draft commonly goes without a player selection because teams that make a supplemental draft pick lose a choice in the corresponding round in the next year's regular draft. Only 42 players have been chosen in the 38-year history of the supplemental draft.
Battle should make No. 43.
"Battle has terrific length on his 6-foot-6 frame and is quick to land hands on pass rushers to disrupt their attack," Zierlein noted.
West Georgia pass rusher Darrius Caldwell has also declared for the draft, as has one of his teammates on the West Georgia defensive line, Dalvon Stuckey. North Carolina Central's Adrian Wilkins has declared, as well.
The date for when the 2015 NFL Supplemental Draft will be held has yet to be determined. Last year's supplemental draft was held on July 10.