The veteran defensive end, who sat out last season because of a torn Achilles tendon, has agreed to a one-year deal that could worth as much as $4.1 million, a source told NFL Media's Albert Breer on Tuesday.
Galette signed with the Redskins last August after being released by the New Orleans Saints last summer. He was suspended two games last year for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy after he was arrested following an alleged domestic violence incident at his home in Louisiana in January 2015. The charges were later dismissed and he served his suspension while on injured reserve.
It remains to be seen if Galette can be a valuable contributor to the Redskins' defense. With the Saints in 2014, he had 10 sacks and 33 tackles. Galette was ranked No. 71 in Around The NFL's top 99 free agents.
Other free-agency tidbits we're tracking on this Tuesday:
It's back to Philadelphia for Nolan Carroll. The veteran cornerback is returning to the Eagles on a one-year deal with a base value of $2.36 million, a source involved in the deal told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport. The deal can be worth as much as $3 million.
Carroll also met with the Cowboys and Dolphins before deciding to rejoin an Eagles defense he started 11 games for in 2015. The 29-year-old cover man is still recovering from an operation on his fibula, per Philly Mag's Tim McManus, but expects to be ready for the team's offseason program.
Carroll picked off a pair of passes last season before going down on Thanksgiving with the leg injury. Happy to return to Philly, the seventh-year defender has a legitimate shot to regain his starting job this autumn.
"I just fell in love with how the city is and how the fans are, how the organization is," Carroll said last month, per CSN Philly. "Everybody is welcoming. Everybody loves each other. That's something you don't see in a lot of organizations and a lot of people."
- Rapoport reported that wideout Andre Holmes has agreed to re-sign with the Raiders on a one-year deal worth up to $3 million, per a source. Holmes will receive $1 million guaranteed.
- Former Redskins offensive lineman Tom Compton will sign with the Falcons, a source informed of the move told NFL Media's Rand Getlin.
- The Vikings have re-signed tight end Rhett Ellison and cornerback Marcus Sherels, the team announced.
- The Vikings have also re-signed cornerback Terence Newman to a one-year deal. Rapoport reported the contract is worth $3 million, per a source involved with the deal.
- Former Minnesota wide receiver Mike Wallace has agreed to a deal with the Baltimore Ravens, two sources have confirmed to Rapoport.
- The Redskins announced they have re-signed cornerback Will Blackmon. The team also announced they have signed ex-Broncos safety David Bruton.
- Washington announced the signing of former Denver Broncos safety David Bruton. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars sign free agent offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum, a source involved in the deal confirmed to Rapoport.
- The Indianapolis Colts have announced the signing of free agent running back Robert Turbin. Turbin spent time on the rosters of both Dallas and Cleveland in 2015.