Ohio State's Carlos Hyde suspended for at least three games

Police in Columbus, Ohio, said that Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde won't be charged with assault because the woman involved does not want to pursue the case, but Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer still said Tuesday night that Hyde will be suspended for at least the first three games of the season.

That means Hyde will miss contests against Buffalo, San Diego State and California. Meyer said Hyde will miss those games "for conduct not representative of this football program or this university." In addition, Meyer said Hyde "will be required to fulfill additional obligations before he is allowed to play in a game." The Buckeyes' first Big Ten game is Sept. 28 vs. Wisconsin.

Earlier in the day, in a press release, police said they officially had closed the investigation into the July 20 incident at the Sugar Bar 2. Hyde had been named as a person of interest in a police report filed by the 19-year-old woman.

Hyde, a second-team All-Big Ten selection last fall, rushed for 970 yards and 16 TDs last season despite missing two games with a minor knee injury.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content

Gamepass_vert_web_r

See all the Action

Replay every game all season.