Skip to main content

Around the League

Presented By

Greg Hardy released from jail, charged with assault

Greg Hardy is facing legal trouble heading into the stretch before training camp.

The Carolina Panthers' pass rusher was arrested Tuesday on two misdemeanor charges: assault on a female and communicating threats, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. He later was booked into a Mecklenburg County jail and held without bond overnight.

According to a police statement obtained by NFL Media, officers responded Tuesday to a domestic violence assault call at about 4:18 a.m. ET in the 100 block of North Tryon Street. When officers arrived, the victim told them she was physically assaulted and threatened by Hardy. The victim said she has been in a relationship with him since Sept. 2013.

The Panthers released a statement on the matter Tuesday.

"We are very disappointed to learn of the allegations involving Greg and are concerned for all parties as we continue to investigate." 

Hardy tied a team record with 15 sacks in 2013 and had 11 in 2012. Those two superb years forced the Panthers to place the franchise tag on Hardy this offseason. He quickly signed the tender, meaning he'll make $13.1 million.

The team can no longer rescind the tag, but both sides have until the July 15 deadline for franchise players to reach terms on long-term deals. It's not clear if the arrest will affect those negotiations.

UPDATE: Hardy appeared in court Wednesday, and a judge set his bond at $17,000 ($15,000 for assault and $2,000 for threats), according to district court officials. Hardy also can't have contact with the woman and must attend three Alcoholics Anonymous meetings a week.

Hardy later was released from jail on bail.

An arrest warrant, obtained by The Charlotte Observer, accused Hardy of throwing the woman to the floor and into a bathtub, slamming her against a futon and "strangling" her. Hardy also said he would kill her, according to the warrant.

Hardy's lawyer, Chris Fialko, said the woman was attacking Hardy and a friend, and she wouldn't leave Hardy's apartment, The Observer reported. Fialko added that it was Hardy who called 911 when the woman wouldn't leave.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content