Friday's health and safety news from the world of sports:
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported a downturn in high school football participation in the area this year.
- The public service announcements by Big Ten coaches have begun to air in the Midwest, BigTen.org reported.
- KUSA-TV reported how a father and a son are taking members of the Wounded Warriors Project to NFL games throughout the season.
- The Twin Cities Daily Planet reported that a bill to create return-to-play standards is moving through the Minnesota legislature.
- WKYC-TV in Cleveland looked at how area schools are debating the use of the Guardian Cap. Like Colorado, Ohio's athletic governing body told schools to use the protective cap for football helmets at their own risk.
- YNN reported how Pop Warner football coaches are teaching the Heads Up Football program in Central New York.
-- Bill Bradley, contributing editor