The 32 player nominees for the third annual Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award have been finalized, the NFL announced Tuesday. Each NFL team nominated one of its players for the award, which recognizes players around the league who exemplify outstanding sportsmanship on the field.
The award was created in 2014 in honor of the late founding owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pro Football Hall of Famer Art Rooney, Sr.
The winner of the NFL Sportsmanship Award is determined by a vote of current NFL players. A panel of former players from the NFL Legends Community will select eight finalists (four in the AFC and four in the NFC) from the 32 nominees. The panel is comprised of Warrick Dunn, Curtis Martin, Karl Mecklenburg and Leonard Wheeler.
The eight finalists will be listed on the Pro Bowl ballot under the NFL Sportsmanship Award category when players vote on Friday, December 16. From the eight finalists, each team's players will submit a consensus vote of their choice for the winner. As in Pro Bowl voting, a team cannot vote for its own player.
The award is presented each year to an NFL player who best demonstrates the qualities of on-field sportsmanship, including fair play, respect for the game and opponents, and integrity in competition.
The winner selected by the vote of the players will be announced during the nationally televised NFL Honors show on Saturday, February 4 on FOX, the night before Super Bowl LI. He will receive a $25,000 donation from the NFL Foundation to a charity of his choice. He will also receive a trophy that represents the important role that sportsmanship plays in the game and how NFL players that demonstrate integrity and honor on the field serve as role models for players at all levels.
The 2016 nominees for each team are listed below.
- Arizona Cardinals: DT Calais Campbell
- Atlanta Falcons: FB Patrick DiMarco
- Baltimore Ravens G Marshal Yanda
- Buffalo Bills: DT Kyle Williams
- Carolina Panthers: TE Greg Olsen
- Chicago Bears: LB Sam Acho
- Cincinnati Bengals: WR A.J. Green
- Cleveland Browns: T Joe Thomas
- Dallas Cowboys: CB Brandon Carr
- Denver Broncos: LB DeMarcus Ware
- Detroit Lions: S Glover Quin
- Green Bay Packers: LB Julius Peppers
- Houston Texans: LB Brian Cushing
- Indianapolis Colts: RB Frank Gore
- Jacksonville Jaguars: LB Paul Posluszny
- Kansas City Chiefs: LB Derrick Johnson
- Los Angeles Rams: DE Robert Quinn
- Miami Dolphins: T Branden Albert
- Minnesota Vikings CB Terence Newman
- New England Patriots: S Devin McCourty
- New Orleans Saints: T Zach Strief
- New York Giants: WR Victor Cruz
- New York Jets: WR Brandon Marshall
- Oakland Raiders: QB Derek Carr
- Philadelphia Eagles: RB Darren Sproles
- Pittsburgh Steelers LB Arthur Moats
- San Diego Chargers: QB Philip Rivers
- San Francisco 49ers: T Joe Staley
- Seattle Seahawks: WR Tyler Lockett
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT Gerald McCoy