Bears coach Marc Trestman announced Monday that Cutler will miss his second consecutive game as he continues to recover from a left ankle injury. Josh McCown will make his third start of the season when the Bearsmeet the St. Louis Rams next Sunday.
Trestman says Cutler remains week to week. However, NFL Media's Rebecca Haarlow reported Monday on NFL Network's "Around the League Live," per a team source, that Cutler should be ready and healthy for the Week 13 game versus the Minnesota Vikings.
While Cutler admitted he had been targeting the Vikings game as his return date, the quarterback said Monday on WMVP-AM's "The Jay Cutler Show" that he's a "little worried" about "a couple of ligaments" in his ankle.
"There are a few other things involved," Cutler said. "If I just had a normal high ankle sprain, I wouldn't be in a cast. (A cast) helps it scar up and stuff, but the normal high ankle sprain isn't really a concern at this point."
McCown has played well in Cutler's place this season, but Trestman continues to downplay the possibility that Cutler's No. 1 spot on the depth chart is in jeopardy.
"It's not going to change," Trestman said. "Jay is the quarterback of our football team and Josh is our backup, and all three of us know that."
McCown has posted a 100 passer rating with five touchdowns and no interceptions in four games this season, including two wins as a starter.
Trestman also announced that linebacker Lance Briggs won't play against the Rams. Briggs has been out since suffering a shoulder injury in Week 7.
Some other injury news from around the league Monday:
- NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Denver Broncos believe free safety Rahim Moore will miss several games with an injury to his lower leg, according to a person briefed on the injury. Broncos interim coach Jack Del Rio said Moore had a lateral compartment syndrome, which required surgery Monday. Moore's exact timeline to return is unknown. Mike Adams replaced Moore in the lineup Sunday night.
- Vikings defensive back Josh Robinson will miss at least four to six weeks after suffering a fractured sternum in Sunday's loss to the Seattle Seahawks, Minnesota coach Leslie Frazierannounced Monday. Vikings center John Sullivan also suffered a concussion and will be subject to the league's concussion protocol.
- New Orleans Saints cornerback Jabari Greer sustained a "serious" knee injury during Sunday's win over the San Francisco 49ers, coach Sean Payton said Sunday.
- Rapoport also reported Monday that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders will be OK after leaving Sunday's win over the Detroit Lions with a foot issue. A source indicated Sanders didn't suffer a major injury.
- Niners guard Mike Iupati reportedly sprained his left MCL on Sunday and is unlikely to play in Week 12 against the Washington Redskins, according to The Sacramento Bee.
- Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner will miss at least four to six weeks with a groin injury, coach Pete Carroll told reporters Monday. Carroll revealed that it's a "severe groin pull" with some tissue damage.
- Redskins defensive back E.J. Biggers left Sunday's loss to the Eagles, but he suffered just a knee bruise and should be fine, Rapoport reported, per a person informed of the injury.