It feels like just yesterday we were on Revis Watch. Could we be headed there again?
Back in the summer of 2010, Darrelle Revis' 35-day holdout ultimately led to a front-loaded, four-year, $45 million contract for the New York Jets' perennial All-Pro cornerback.
That contract worked for everyone involved by paying Revis the type of cash he was after in the first two seasons ($32.5 million), while assuring the Jets they wouldn't go without their best defensive player. It was a "Band-Aid" deal, one that general manager Mike Tannenbaum last week didn't sound excited about pulling off the wound.
And now Revis is unsure if another holdout is ahead.
"I just don't know. I'm not saying I am going to hold out. I'm not saying I'm not," Revis told the New York Daily News on Monday.
"Right now, my focus is being on the team," Revis said, but his agents are busy at work:
Cosell: Mock madness?
Greg Cosell's first-round projection is based solely on film study. Among the many surprises: Andrew Luck doesn't go No. 1. **More ...**
"(They're) going to do the best for me and try to do what's best for me. It's my career, and I'm in control of it, what I can do," Revis told the New York Post. "I know I'm under contract. We'll hash that out when the time comes."
We sense the time is coming soon. As entertaining as it was to watch Revis and the Jets haggle on "Hard Knocks" two summers ago, this is a potential headache for Gang Green.
Revis, after all, never felt he played under a front-loaded deal but simply made what he was worth over the last two seasons. Nobody on his island looks at this year's $6 million number with enthusiasm.