Smith said he received staples for his stab wounds, reportedly suffered late last month when an altercation broke out during a party he was hosting.
"Letting everybody down was probably the saddest part," Smith said Friday. "I'm back to 100 percent. And I'm ready to go."
In all, three victims reportedly suffered injuries (all non-life threatening) in the incident at Smith's home. The Santa Clara Sheriff's Department continues to search for suspects, according to the Sacramento Bee.
"Being my age, you have to be aware of everything around you," Smith said. "I have to make better decisions and surround myself with good people."
Smith exploded onto the scene in 2011 as the No. 7 overall draft pick. He recorded a franchise-rookie record 14 sacks, tops among NFL rookies, with a pair of forced fumbles.
As he prepares for a new season, the 22-year-old Smith said the incident helped him refocus his career.
"It helped my focus out," he said. "I'm really focused more than ever -- not to say I wasn't in the beginning. Just focused more than ever and I'm ready to go."