James Robinson's fantastic rookie season is over.
Jacksonville Jaguars coach Doug Marrone told reporters Wednesday that the running back will miss the season-finale against Indianapolis due to an ankle injury.
Robinson missed Week 16 due to the same injury. Dare Ogunbowale should get the bulk of the totes once again in the rookie's absence.
The Illinois St. product's superb first season will end with 1,070 yards rushing and seven TDs on 240 carries, adding 49 receptions for 344 yards and three additional scores.
When the Jags released Leonard Fournette before the season, favoring Robinson, many eyebrows were raised. The undrafted rookie proved the coaching staff correct in their evaluation at every turn. Robinson owns punch to hit the hole full speed, strength to power through arm-tackles, and vision to see the openings as they appear.
Robinson's 1,414 scrimmage yards are the most in Common Draft Era by an undrafted rookie. He fell just 35 yards shy of passing Dominic Rhodes' 1,104 for most rushing yards by an undrafted rookie.
Here are other injuries and roster news we're tracking on Wednesday:
- Houston Texans interim coach Romeo Crennel said the team won't enter the facility today due to a couple of positive COVID-19 tests. Players will go through a one-hour walkthrough, while wearing masks, and then head home.
- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray (leg) participated in practice and told reporters he expects to play this Sunday vs. the Rams. Safety Jalen Thompson (ankle) was also a full participant. Receivers DeAndre Hopkins (hip) and Larry Fitzgerald (groin), along with linebacker Haason Reddick (hip) did not practice.
- Minnesota Vikings running back Dalvin Cook has returned to Miami and will be out of COVID testing protocols due to a death in the family, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per a source informed. He will not play in Sunday's game, Pelissero added. The Vikings also announced that offensive lineman Riley Reiff has been placed on the team's reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid said quarterback Patrick Mahomes (rest) will not play Sunday versus the Chargers.
- Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith (calf) did not practice Wednesday, backup Taylor Heinicke took first-team reps at practice. Receiver Terry McLaurin (ankle) and running back Antonio Gibson (toe) also did not practice.
- Free-agent receiver Kenny Stills will meet with the Buffalo Bills, NFL Network's Mike Giardi reported. Stills was waived by the Texans on Nov. 27. Buffalo signed WR Gary Jennings to the practicwe squad.
- Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey will not play Sunday due to a lingering thigh injury. The All-Pro RB will end up playing in only three games this season, finishing with 374 total yards and six touchdowns.
- Los Angeles Rams wideout Cooper Kupp was placed on the COVID-19 reserve list because of a positive test and he's out for Sunday, Rapoport reported. The Rams also designated left tackle Andrew Whitworth to return to practice and activated linebacker Micah Kiser from injured reserve. Whitworth has been on IR since Nov. 17 after suffering a torn MCL and damage to his PCL.
- Baltimore Ravens cornerback Marcus Peters (calf) was limited in practice. Defensive end Calais Campbell (calf/NIR), CB Marlon Humphrey (knee/shoulder), running back Mark Ingram (illness), DE Yannick Ngakoue (thigh) and CB Jimmy Smith (ribs/shoulder) did not practice. The team also placed punter Sam Koch on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Baltimore is expected to sign former Lions safety Jayron Kearse to the practice squad after he clears COVID-19 protocols, Rapoport reported, via a source.
- The L.A. Chargers listed receiver Keenan Allen (hamstring), pass rusher Joey Bosa(shin/concussion), cornerback link-placeholder-26 and offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga (foot) among the 10 players that did not practice.
- Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich said left tackle Anthony Castonzo needs ankle surgery and is out for the season. The Colts are expected to sign veteran tackle Jared Veldheer to their practice squad and elevate him for Sunday's game, per Pelissero. Indy activated tackle Braden Smith from the reserve/COVID-19 list and signed guard Sam Jones to the practice squad.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced they have signed kicker Robbie Gould to a two-year extension. The new deal is worth $7.25 million fully guaranteed, per Rapoport. The Niners also placed Gould on the reserve/COVID-19 list and opened the injured reserve practice window for offensive lineman Tom Compton. Coach Kyle Shanahan said he is ruling out quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle) for Sunday's game against the Seahawks.
- The Las Vegas Raiders listed offensive tackle Trent Brown (knee), Clelin Ferrell (shoulder), guard Denzelle Good (ankle), defensive tackle Maurice Hurst (calf) and Lamarcus Joyner (thigh) among the players who did not practice.
- Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores said linebacker Elandon Roberts suffered a significant injury and will "obviously not play this week."
- Denver Broncos pass rusher Bradley Chubb (ankle), receiver K.J. Hamler (concussion) and defensive end Shelby Harris (knee) did not practice.
- The New England Patriots released tight end Jordan Thomas.
- The Cleveland Browns have signed defensive tackle Sheldon Day to their practice squad. Cleveland activated safety Ronnie Harrison from injured reserve. Offensive linemen JC Tretter (knee), Jack Conklin (knee) and Wyatt Teller (ankle), as well as DT Sheldon Richardson (neck), were all limited.
- Detroit Lions interim coach Darrell Bevell said quarterback Matthew Stafford won't practice today. Sounds like he's 50-50 whether he plays on his sprained ankle.
- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (illness), safety Deon Bush (foot) and cornerbacks Jaylon Johnson (shoulder) and Buster Skrine (concussion) did not practice. The Bears placed offensive lineman Badara Traore on practice squad/IR and signed DB Sojourn Shelton to the practice squad.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers promoted wideout Jaydon Mickens to the active roster and placed running back Kenjon Barner on IR.
- The Dallas Cowboys waived offensive tackle Jordan Mills and designated guard Zack Martin and safety Steven Parker to return from IR.
- New York Jets running back La'Mical Perine tested positive for COVID-19 and will be placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Philadelphia Eagles activated the 21-day practice windows for guard Brandon Brooks and linebacker Davion Taylor. Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (neck), defensive end Derek Barnett (calf), receivers DeSean Jackson (ankle) and tight ends Dallas Goedert (calf) and Richard Rodgers (ankle) did not practice.
- The Green Bay Packers listed linebacker Za'Darius Smith (ankle/thumb), receiver Allen Lazard (core/wrist), tight end Marcedes Lewis (knee) running back Jamaal Williams (quad) were limited in practice.
- Pittsburgh Steelers defensive ends Stephon Tuitt (back) and Tyson Alualu (ankle), as well as safety Terrell Edmunds (shoulder), did not practice.