A.J. Bouye might be out for just a few weeks.
The Broncos cornerback will require rehab, but not surgery after undergoing tests Tuesday on his dislocated shoulder, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Nonetheless, the Broncos announced they placed him on injured reserve Wednesday afternoon; a move that will sideline him for at least three weeks.. It's thought to be a best-case scenario for Bouye after banging up his shoulder in Denver's season opener.
The Broncos' next three games are against the Steelers, Buccaneers and Jets. They'll need Bouye perhaps even more for October matchups against the Patriots and Chiefs .
Bouye went down in the second quarter of his debut with Denver and missed the remainder of its loss to the Titans. He wasn't the only notable Bronco injured Monday, of course.
Running back Phillip Lindsay could also be sidelined the next few weeks. Lindsay is getting a second opinion after suffering turf toe, per Rapoport. The nature of the injury combined with Lindsay's position will likely keep him out a bit, but it isn't expected to be a long-term issue.
The Broncos promoted cornerback De'Vante Bausby to the active roster and signed linebacker Isaiah Irving to the practice squad.
Here are the other news, injuries and transactions we're tracking on Wednesday:
- Jets rookie left tackle Mekhi Becton (knee) and Avery Williamson (hamstring) were limited in practice. Running back La'Mical Perine (ankle) was out. New York announced it has signed linebacker Paul Worrilow to its practice squad.
- Chicago Bears linebackers Khalil Mack (knee) and Robert Quinn (ankle) were limited in practice. Coach Matt Nagy said he expects Quinn, who missed the opener, to be limited all week. The Bears signed kicker Cairo Santos from the practice squad to the active roster and waived tight end Eric Saubert.
- Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee is expected to be out six weeks after undergoing hernia surgery last week in Philadelphia with noted specialist Dr. William Meyers, NFL Network's Jane Slater reported. Lee began the season on injured reserve and now is looking at a mid-October return.
- Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Kenny Clark, who exited Week 1 early with a groin injury, was held out of practice Wednesday. Guard Lucas Patrick (shoulder) and wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown (knee) were limited participants.
- The San Francisco 49ers are placing cornerback Richard Sherman on IR with a calf strain, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo and Rapoport. The veteran Pro Bowler will miss at least three weeks. Cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon is in concussion protocol, according to the Athletic's Matt Barrows. The Niners are signing former Steelers fifth-round cornerback Brian Allen to the practice squad, per his agent. Cornerback Dontae Johnson is being promoted from the practice squad to the active roster, Garafolo added.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin is in the concussion protocol, NFL Network's Mike Giardi reported. Receiver Mike Evans (hamstring) and offensive tackle Donovan Smith (knee) were limited participants in practice.
- Chiefs defensive tackle Khalen Saunders is expected to be out about a month, per Rapoport. Saunders exited Kansas City's opener early with a dislocated elbow, but didn't sustain any fractures and does not need surgery, Rapoport added. Chiefs coach Andy Reid said defensive end Alex Okafor (hamstring) and cornerback Charvarius Ward (fractured hand) won't practice Wednesday.
- Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Josh Allen (calf) did not practice.
- The Indianapolis Colts are signing running back Darius Jackson to the practice squad, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. Colts tight end Jack Doyle (ankle/knee) did not practice on Wednesday, nor did safety Malik Hooker (illness) or wide receiver Zach Pascal (ankle).
- Lions rookie cornerback Jeff Okudah, who sat out the opener with a hamstring injury, was a full participant in Wednesday's practice. Wide receiver Kenny Golladay (hamstring), cornerback Desmond Trufant (hamstring), defensive end Austin Bryant (hamstring), cornerback Darryl Roberts (calf) and offensive tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai (foot) did not practice. Defensive lineman Nick Williams (shoulder) was limited. Detroit announced it has signed cornerback Chris Jones from the Cardinals' practice squad.
- Buffalo Bills wide receiver John Brown (foot), linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (shoulder) and linebacker Matt Milano (hamstring) did not practice.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed defensive tackle David Moa to their practice squad. Receiver Julio Jones (hamstring) was limited in practice.
- Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins, defensive tackle Mike Daniels and safety Shawn Williams have been ruled out for Thursday's game against the Browns.
- Cleveland Browns tackle Jack Conklin (ankle/finger), OL Chris Hubbard (ankle), center JC Tretter (knee), receiver Jarvis Landry (hip), defensive end Olivier Vernon (abdomen) and tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. (shin) are questionable to play against the Bengals. Cornerbacks Kevin Johnson and Greedy Williams and linebackers Mack Wilson and Jacob Phillips have been ruled out.
- Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman Josh Jones (ankle) was limited in practice and tight end Maxx Williams (ankle) was out.
- Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson (ankle) and running back Miles Sanders (hamstring) were full participants in Wednesday's practice. Both Johnson and Sanders missed Philly's opener. Defensive end Brandon Graham (concussion) did not practice. Receivers Alshon Jeffery (foot) and Desean Jackson (rest) also sat out practice.
- Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt (hip), receiver Brandin Cooks (quad), offensive lineman Tytus Howard (ankle) and running back Duke Johnson (ankle) were limited in practice.
- Baltimore Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith (hip) and tackle Ronnie Stanley (hip) did not practice.
- Minnesota Vikings cornerback Cameron Dantzler (rib) did not practice Wednesday, while CB Jeff Gladney (knee) and receiver Bisi Johnson (knee) were full participants.
- Wide receiver DeVante Parker (hamstring), cornerbacks Xavien Howard (knee) and Byron Jones (Achilles) were each limited in practice Wednesday. Receiver Jakeem Grant (calf) was also limited and linebacker Elandon Roberts did not practice.
- New York Giants receiver Golden Tate (hamstring), who missed the team's opener on Monday, was limited in practice Wednesday.
- Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short (foot) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. Defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos (eye) was a limited participant.
- New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Copeland (knee), wide receiver Julian Edelman (knee), wide receiver N'Keal Harry (shoulder) and cornerback Jonathan Jones (foot) were limited in practice. The Pats announced they have signed defensive back Myles Bryant and kicker Nick Folk to the 53-man roster from the practice squad. In addition, the Patriots signed quarterback Jake Dolegala and offensive lineman James Ferentz to the practice squad.
- Miami Dolphins cornerbacks Xavien Howard (knee) and Byron Jones (Achilles) and wide receiver DeVante Parker (hamstring) were limited in practice.
- Pittsburgh Steelers running back James Conner (ankle), guard David DeCastro (knee), wide receiver Diontae Johnson (toe), wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster (knee), defensive end Stephon Tuitt (Achilles), offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva (illness) and guard Stefen Wisniewski (chest) did not practice. Offensive tackle Zach Banner (knee) was placed on injured reserve.
- Tennessee Titans wide receiver Corey Davis (hamstring) and safety Kenny Vaccaro (illness) did not practice.
- Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa (triceps), center Mike Pouncey (hip) and Justin Jackson (quadriceps) did not practice on Wednesday. Guard Trai Turner (knee) was limited.