David Montgomery's knee injury won't sideline him for the rest of the season. But he'll likely miss the rest of the month.
The Chicago Bears running back is expected to be out 3-5 weeks, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday. Montgomery suffered what NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported was a hyperextended knee near the end of a Week 4 win over the Lions.
It's a significant blow for an offense that looked to have finally found its footing this past weekend. The Bears snapped a two-game losing streak by amassing nearly 200 yards on the ground, with Montgomery tallying 106 of them and two touchdowns. His backup, Damien Williams, ran for 55 yards and a score before suffering a thigh bruise. He is expected to be OK, per Rapoport, and fill in as the starter moving forward.
Montgomery's injury will also put more onus on Chicago's shaky passing game, which remains in flux as coach Matt Nagy deliberates on who will be under center for Week 5 against the Raiders.
In other Bears news Tuesday, Chicago traded for Dolphins kick returner Jakeem Grant, Pelissero reported. Miami will receiver a 2023 sixth-round pick in the deal. The Dolphins and Bears later announced the trade. In a corresponding move for the Bears, they released wide receiver/returner Nsimba Webster.
- Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson (neck) did not practice on Tuesday. Wide receiver D'Wayne Eskridge (concussion) was also a DNP. 'Hawks wideout DK Metcalf was limited with a foot injury and pass rusher Carlos Dunlap (toe) was also limited.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Darrell Henderson (ribs), tight end Tyler Higbee (ankle), safety Taylor Rapp (ankle) and tight end Johnny Mundt (shoulder) were each limited at Tuesday's practice.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have placed guard Sua Opeta on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Washington Football Team placed linebacker Jon Bostic and cornerback Torry McTyer on injured reserve.
- The Kansas City Chiefs placed defensive end Joshua Kaindoh on IR and designated linebacker Willie gay to return from IR.
- The Atlanta Falcons placed cornerback Isaiah Oliver and punter Cameron Nizialek on IR.
- The Cleveland Browns placed center Nick Harris on IR.
- The New York Jets placed Hamsah Nasirildeen on IR.
- The New England Patriots placed offensive linemen Mike Onwenu and Isaiah Wynn on the reserve/COVID-19 list, Rapoport reported per the wire.
- The Minnesota Vikings placed cornerback Harrison Hand on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Detroit Lions placed linebacker Romeo Okwara on IR.
- The San Francisco 49ers are placing kicker Robbie Gould on injured reserve, Rapoport reported. Gould is dealing with a groin injury. The team later announced the move.
- The San Francisco 49ers are signing kicker Joey Slye following a Monday tryout, per Pelissero. The former Panthers kicker made 4 of 5 field goal attempts for the Texans earlier this season and has a chance to start in San Francisco with Robbie Gould set to miss three to five weeks with a groin injury. The Niners also worked out Mike Badgley and Brett Maher, per Pelissero. The team also signed LB Tyrell Adams, TE Jordan Matthews and WR Connor Wedington to the practice squad.
- The New Orleans Saints have agreed to terms with kicker Cody Parkey, per Rapoport. The eighth-year veteran made 19 of 22 field goals for the Browns last year.
- The Indianapolis Colts signed tight end Michael Jacobson to the practice squad.
- The Kansas City Chiefs added Josh Gordon to their active roster. He is on track to play Sunday against the Bills, NFL Network's Taylor Bisciotti reported.
- The Washington Football Team signed cornerback Danny Johnson and linebacker Jordan Kunaszyk to its active roster and kicker Chris Blewitt and wide receiver Damion Willis to the practice squad.
- The Arizona Cardinals are signing running back Tavien Feaster to the practice squad, per Pelissero.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed punter Dustin Colquitt and defensive tackle Mike Pennel from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and kicker Elliott Fry and safety Shawn Williams to the practice squad.
- The Tennessee Titans announced the signing of veteran pass rusher John Simon to the practice squad, along with defensive lineman Caraun Reid.
- The Miami Dolphins signed center Austin Reiter off the Saints' practice squad. Reiter was a starter for the Chiefs during their back-to-back runs to the Super Bowl.
- The Cleveland Browns signed guard Hjalte Froholdt off the Houston Texans' practice squad.
- The Cincinnati Bengals signed safety Michael Thomas and punter Drue Chrisman to their practice squad.
- The New York Jets signed offensive lineman Isaiah Williams to the active roster and running back Austin Walter to the practice squad.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed defensive tackle T.J. Smith to the practice squad.
- The New England Patriots have agreed to terms with free-agent linebacker Jamie Collins, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.
- The Dallas Cowboys are planning to release linebacker Jaylon Smith on Wednesday, per Garafolo.
- The Indianapolis Colts released tight end David Wells from the practice squad.
- The Arizona Cardinals released cornerback Quinton Dunbar from their practice squad.
- The Cleveland Browns terminated the contract of linebacker Elijah Lee.
- The New York Jets released offensive lineman Elijah Nkansah from the practice squad.
- The Cincinnati Bengals released safety Sean Davis and cornerback Tony Brown from the practice squad.
- The New Orleans Saints cut kicker Aldrick Rosas.
- The San Francisco 49ers released running backs Kerryon Johnson and Chris Thompson and linebacker Curtis Bolton from the practice squad.