The veteran running back agreed to a one-year contract with the Miami Dolphins on Thursday, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
The 34-year-old Gore was born in Miami and played for the University of Miami. Joining the Dolphins to close out his career could bring his journey full-circle.
Since being drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in 2005, Gore has been one of the most consistent runners in the NFL. He's surpassed the 1,000-yard mark in nine of his 13 NFL seasons, with more than 960 yards in each of the past seven years. For his career, Gore has compiled 14,026 yards, 4.3 yards per carry, with 77 rushing TDs. He needs just 75 yards to pass Curtis Martin for fourth place on the NFL's all-time rushing list.
Gore still has miles left on his legs. Behind a porous Indianapolis Colts offensive line last season, the aging veteran continued to find creases and move the pile. He's not going to break off 80-yard touchdowns but remains a workhorse.
Here are the other free-agent visits and signings that we're monitoring on Thursday:
- The Seattle Seahawks announced they've signed running back Mike Davis. Rapoport reported the sides agreed to a one-year deal. Davis took visits during free agency but decided to remain in Seattle where he was solid down the stretch last season.
- The New England Patriots re-signed linebacker Marquis Flowers to a one-year deal worth up to $2.55 million, Rapoport reported.
- The Dallas Cowboys signed wide receiver Deonte Thompson to a one-year contract for $2.5 million with a $1 million bonus.
Dallas also signed linebacker Joe Thomas and wide receiver Deonte Thompson.
- The Atlanta Falcons announced they re-signed defensive end Derrick Shelby to a one-year deal. Rapoport reports Shelby's contract is a one-year deal worth $3.25 million with $2 million fully guaranteed.
- The New York Giants announced they have terminated the contract of wide receiver/kick returner Dwayne Harris, who spent the majority of last season on injured reserve after breaking his foot in October.