The Steelers are getting their bell cow back.
After missing the past two games, James Conner was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday.
Pittsburgh's former Pro Bowler has been sidelined since testing positive for the novel coronavirus in late November. That result combined with the postponement of the Ravens-Steelers game from its initial Thanksgiving date kept him out an extra game. The Steelers struggled to run the ball in his absence, tallying a total of 89 yards the past two weeks.
Conner, who's been good for 4.4 yards a pop and 64.5 yards per game, could be called upon a lot in Week 14 against a Bills defense giving up 4.7 yards per carry.
Pittsburgh also announced it has signed defensive end Cassius Marsh from the Colts' practice squad, and linebacker Ulysees Gilbert, who's on injured reserve with a back injury, will return to practice.
Cornerback Joe Haden (concussion) did not participate in Wednesday's practice.
Here's other news, injuries and transactions we're tracking on Wednesday:
- Cincinnati Bengals safety Shawn Williams' one-game suspension for stepping on a Dolphins player was upheld by appeals officer Derrick Brooks, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported per a source. Williams will miss Sunday's game against the Cowboys. The league later announced the affirmation of the suspension. The Bengals placed offensive tackle Jonah Williams (knee) on IR and activated cornerback Darius Phillips from it. Coach Zac Taylor told reporters that Jonah Williams will not need surgery. Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins (hamstring) was limited in practice.
- Washington running back Antonio Gibson was diagnosed with turf toe and his status for Sunday's game against the 49ers is in doubt, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Backup tight end Temarrick Hemingway suffered a dislocated wrist Monday against the Steelers and he will miss the rest of the season, per Rapoport. Washington placed him on injured reserve. The Football Team also signed tight end Marcus Baugh and running back Mike Warren to the practice squad. Wide receiver Terry McLaurin (ankle) was limited in practice Wednesday.
- Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Tyreek Hill was held out of practice due to an illness. Hill's absence is not COVID-19 related, per the Chiefs.
- The Tennessee Titans announced they have placed rookie offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson on the reserve/non-football illness list. "Currently, he is dealing with some personal issues, which will take some time for him to work through," general manager Jon Robinson said in a statement. "We will continue to help him and support him, with the hope that he can ultimately re-join the team."
- New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton (abdomen), still listed on the injury report, was limited Wednesday and listed as questionable for Thursday's game against the Rams.
- The Chicago Bears restored linebacker Devante Bond to their practice squad. Linebacker Khalil Mack (shoulder) did not participate in practice.
- Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott (calf) was limited in practice.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Cam Akers (shoulder) and linebacker Michael Brockers (neck) were full participants Wednesday and do not have game designations for Thursday against the Patriots. Kicker Matt Gay was limited and is listed as questionable.
- Jets coach Adam Gase said rookie wide receiver Denzel Mims is currently away from the team as he deals with a personal issue that could affect his status for Sunday's game against the Seahawks. New York designated cornerback Blessuan Austin and tight end Trevon Wesco to return to practice.
- The Baltimore Ravens activated tight end Mark Andrews and edge rusher Matt Judon from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Carolina Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey, already nursing a shoulder injury, was limited Wednesday because a thigh injury suffered last week "tightened up," per coach Matt Rhule.
- The Indianapolis Colts placed offensive tackle Le'Raven Clark on injured reserve.
- The Arizona Cardinals designated defensive lineman Jordan Phillips to return from IR.
- The Detroit Lions signed tight end Jerell Adams to the practice squad. Wideout Kenny Golladay (hip) did not participate at practice. Quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back D'Andre Swift were limited.
- New Orleans Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas (ankle) was limited in practice.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin (finger) did not practice, while wide receiver Mike Evans (hamstring) was limited. The Bucs signed wide receiver Jaydon Mickens to their practice squad.
- San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel (foot) did not practice Wednesday. The Niners promoted offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom to their active roster and signed cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun and tight end Daniel Helm to the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed cornerback Chris Williamson to their practice squad. Wdeout Julio Jones (hamstring) did not participate at practice. Running back Todd Gurley (knee) and defensive end Dante Fowler (hamstring) were limited.
- Minnesota Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks (calf) and tight end Kyle Rudolph (foot) did not practice.
- Jacksonville Jaguars running back James Robinson (knee) and wideout Laviska Shenault Jr. (thumb) were limited at practice.
- The Miami Dolphins placed cornerback Jamal Perry on the reserve/COVID-19 list and elevated safety Nate Holley to the active roster as a COVID-19 replacement for Sunday's game against the Chiefs.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed quarterback Alex McGough to the practice squad with the intention of putting their other practice squad QB -- Danny Etling -- in a bubble, in case the position group is impacted by COVID-19 the way the Broncos recently were, per Rapoport. In practice Wednesday, defensive end Carlos Dunlap (foot) was a DNP, while linebacker Bobby Wagner (hamstring) was limited along with running backs Chris Carson (foot) and Carlos Hyde (toe).
- Houston Texans wide receivers Brandin Cooks (foot/neck) and Keke Coutee (knee) were limited. Houston activated the 21-day practice window for linebacker Brennan Scarlett to return from IR and signed guard Beau Benzschawel to the practice squad.
- Denver Broncos rookie wide receiver Jerry Jeudy (ankle) was limited in practice. Denver placed cornerback Essang Bassey on IR.
- Los Angeles Chargers cornerback Chris Harris (foot), linebacker Denzel Perryman (back) and running back Joshua Kelley (foot) did not practice.
- The Las Vegas Raiders signed cornerback Daryl Worley, who played seven games this season with the Cowboys and one for the Bills. He's recorded 14 tackles and one pass defensed while also making four starts. He played for the Raiders the previous two seasons.