Devonta Freeman is getting his second opportunity with an NFL team in the 2020 season.
The Bills are signing Freeman to their practice squad following a season-ending injury to rookie runner Zack Moss, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per Freeman's agent Drew Rosenhaus. The team later announced the move, adding Moss to injured reserve, as well.
Freeman joined the Giants in a somewhat similar situation early in the 2020 campaign, signing with New York to help replace Saquon Barkley after his season ended due to injury. Freeman rushed 54 times for 172 yards (3.2 yards per carry) and one touchdown in five games with the Giants, who waived him last week in order for Freeman to seek opportunities such as this.
The 28-year-old spent his first six seasons with Atlanta, where he twice broke 1,000 rushing yards before appearing in just two games in 2018 and struggling mightily in 2019. He'll be available for promotion if Buffalo decides it needs to elevate him to the active roster ahead of the Bills' Divisional Round meeting with Baltimore this weekend.
Devin Singletary remains Buffalo's lead back in an offense that relies more on the arm and legs of Josh Allen than its runners. The Bills finished the 2020 regular season ranked 20th in rushing yards per game.
Bills receiver Cole Beasley (knee), Stefon Diggs (oblique), linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (hamstring) and defensive tackle Ed Oliver (ankle) were all limited participants in Tuesday's practice.
Here are the other injuries and roster moves we're monitoring Tuesday:
- The Cleveland Browns placed guard Michael Dunn (calf) and cornerback Robert Jackson (hamstring) on injured reserve. Both played significant roles in Cleveland's wild-card win over Pittsburgh.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Tuesday that they have protected four practice squad players ahead of their Divisional Round game Sunday versus New Orleans: linebacker Deone Bucannon, kicker Greg Joseph, guard Ted Larsen and cornerback Herb Miller.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers waived running back Trey Edmunds.
- The Los Angeles Rams held a walk-through on Tuesday, and defensive lineman Aaron Donald (ribs) and quarterback John Wolford (neck) did not participate. Quarterback Jared Goff (right thumb) was listed as a full participant. The team waived linebacker Jachai Polite.
- Green Bay Packers linebacker Za'Darius Smith (ankle/thumb), wideout Allen Lazard (core/wrist) and wideout Equanimeous St. Brown (knee/ankle) were all limited at practice. The announced they signed tackle Jared Veldheer off of the Indianapolis Colts' practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions acquired linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton off waivers from the Washington Football Team.
- Buffalo Bills wide receivers Stefon Diggs (oblique) and Cole Beasley (knee), along with linebacker Tremaine Edmunds (hamstring) and defensive lineman Ed Oliver (ankle) were limited in practice Tuesday.
- Baltimore Ravens pass rusher Matt Judon (illness) and cornerback Marcus Peters (back) did not participate in Tuesday's walk-through.