The San Francisco 49ers have added an intriguing talent to their ailing running back room.
The Niners are signing preseason standout Jacques Patrick off the Bengals practice squad, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday. The team later announced it had signed Patrick to a one year deal and released cornerback Dee Virgin from the practice squad.
Patrick appeared in all three preseason games for the Bengals, compiling totals of 31 carries, 156 yards and a touchdown. He displayed exceptional speed and an ability to make plays out of the backfield, traits that could immediately make him an asset for a team in need of playmakers at the position.
Prior to joining Cincinnati last April, Patrick shined with the XFL's Tampa Bay Vipers in 2019, recording 60 carries for 254 yards and two scores in five games played. He spent the 2020 season on the Bengals' practice squad.
- The Houston Texans placed quarterback Tyrod Taylor (hamstring) and receiver Nico Collins (shoulder) on injured reserve. The Texans listed the following players as DNPs on their estimated injury report: safety Justin Reid (knee), receiver Danny Amendola (thigh), linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill (knee) and cornerback Terrance Mitchell (concussion).
- The Indianapolis Colts are continuing to monitor quarterback Carson Wentz, who is currently sporting a walking boot following a rough Week 2 in which he sprained both ankles, per Pelissero and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo. Wentz will give it a go during Wednesday's practice to see if he can play against the Titans.
- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is dealing with a left pec injury and linebacker Alex Highsmith is dealing with a groin injury. Tomlin also said defensive end Tyson Alualu, who is on injured reserve, underwent ankle surgery on Monday. Tomlin did not have significant updates on the statuses of T.J. Watt, Alex Highsmith, Joe Haden and Devin Bush. All four defenders are dealing with groin injuries.
- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he's "hopeful" receiver Amari Cooper (ribs) will play in Week 3 against the Eagles. Cooper sustained bruised ribs against the Chargers on Sunday.
- The Cleveland Browns announced that wide receiver Jarvis Landry had been placed on injured reserve due to an MCL injury.
- Carolina Panthers defensive end Morgan Fox (knee) was limited at practice, while offensive tackle Cameron Erving (ankle) was a full participant. Defensive end Yetur Gross-Matos (ankle) did not practice ahead of Thursday's game against the Texans. The Panthers also placed guard Pat Elflein on injured reserve.
- Detroit Lions rookie cornerback Ifeatu Melifonwu is going to be down for a "significant amount of time" after injuring his thigh against the Packers, per coach Dan Campbell.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed linebacker Kevin Minter on the reserve/COVID-19 list as a result of a positive test and also placed practice squad wide receiver Travis Jonsen on the list as a result of a positive test, Pelissero reported.
- The Denver Broncos officially placed inside linebacker Josey Jewell on injured reserve. Jewell tore his pectoral and is out for the season.
- The New York Giants placed offensive lineman Nick Gates on injured reserve.
- The Philadelphia Eagles placed offensive lineman Brandon Brooks and starting defensive end Brandon Graham on injured reserve.
- Denver Broncos defensive end Bradley Chubb announced he is having ankle surgery on Wednesday. Pelissero reported the surgery, to clean up a bone spur, usually has a recovery timetable of six to eight weeks.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers signed free-agent pass rusher Taco Charlton to the practice squad. NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala reported earlier in the day that Pittsburgh planned to add Charlton pending the results of his physical.
- The Cleveland Browns signed defensive end Ifeadi Odenigbo to the active roster from the practice squad. Receiver Davion Davis is re-signing with the team after clearing waivers, Pelissero reported.
- The Las Vegas Raiders signed offensive lineman Jackson Barton off the Giants' practice squad, per Pelissero.
- The Houston Texans elevated tight end Antony Auclair to the active roster and added linebacker Hardy Nickerson to the practice squad.
- The Baltimore Ravens signed offensive tackles David Sharpe and Jaryd Jones-Smith to the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons signed 39-year-old punter Dustin Colquitt to the practice squad, per Pelissero. A member of the Chiefs for 15 seasons, Colquitt spent time with the Steelers (five games) and Jaguars (one game) in 2020 after getting released by Kansas City prior to the season.
- The New England Patriots signed kicker Nick Folk to the active roster.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed quarterback Sean Mannion to the 53-man roster.
- The Philadelphia Eagles announced the signing of guardJack Anderson.
- The Green Bay Packers are waiving tight end Jace Sternberger, Pelissero reported. Sternberger, who was suspended for the first two games of the season, was a 2019 third-round draft pick.
- The Tennessee Titans released safety Bradley McDougald and defensive lineman Anthony Rush.
- The Atlanta Falcons released offensive lineman Bryan Witzmann, Pelissero reported.
- The Minnesota Vikings released running back Ameer Abdullah, but re-signed him to the practice squad.
- The Philadelphia Eagles released center Harry Crider.
- Former Raiders cornerback Nevin Lawson is visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars today, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Lawson was released on Monday.
- The Atlanta Falcons worked out veteran wide receiver John Brown.
- The Buffalo Bills worked out cornerback Quinton Dunbar and safety Damarious Randall.