Alfred Morris' run with the New York Giants came to an end Tuesday.
The Giants announced Morris was cut as the team gets down to 85 players on the roster.
The 32-year-old running back spent nine games in 2020 with Big Blue, rushing 55 times for 238 yards and a touchdown. With Saquon Barkley set to return, Morris was the odd man out in the backfield. The veteran saw two carries for negative-4 yards in the Giants' preseason opener against the New York Jets.
Speaking of Barkley, the star RB took an encouraging step in his rehab on Tuesday, participating in seven-on-seven drills while wearing a red non-contact jersey, per The Athletic. It was Barkley's first reps with the team this summer.
- Baltimore Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey sustained a slight groin strain during practice, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported. The injury, which is not believed to be serious, occurred when Humphrey slipped on the turf during one-on-ones, Pelissero added.
- Kansas City Chiefs pass rusher Frank Clark aggravated his hamstring during Tuesday's practice and will undergo an MRI, Pelissero reported, per a source. With three weeks left to recover until Week 1, Pelissero adds that there is optimism Clark will be ready. The team placed running back Elijah McGuire on injured reserve.
- Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer provided an update on Justin Jefferson following the receiver's return to practice on Monday after being sidelined for a week with an sprained AC joint. "He's good. He feels good. I don't think he'll play in the game this week, but we'll see as it goes," Zimmer said before pausing and telling reporters with a wink, "Don't hold me to it." Zimmer also noted that linebacker Anthony Barr, who was on the practice field yesterday but did not practice, has "something he's dealing with" but did not get into specifics.
- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool did not suffer a significant injury in Tuesday's practice, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per a source. The report comes after head coach Mike Tomlin said Claypool is being evaluated after the wideout went down at the end of practice with an apparent lower-body injury and was helped to the sideline. Garafolo adds that Claypool will have further tests for a complete diagnosis, but there's a huge sigh of relief in Pittsburgh.
- The Philadelphia Eagles listed defensive end Derek Barnett (shoulder) as day-to-day. Receiver DeVonta Smith (knee) participated in team drills during the Eagles' joint practice with the Patriots, Garafolo reported. Smith participated in individual drills on Monday.
- San Francisco 49ers left tackle Trent Williams did not practice due to knee swelling. He is considered day-to-day. Defensive back Emmanuel Moseley (hamstring) was held out of practice.
- Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury says pass rusher Chandler Jones doesn't have a serious injury after missing practice Tuesday, but declared he won't play in Friday's preseason game. Markus Golden, who has missed the last two practices, will be a game-time decision on Friday, per Kingsbury.
- The Dallas Cowboys placed fullback Sewo Olonilua (neck) and cornerback Reggie Robinson II (toe) on injured reserve.
- Cleveland Browns linebacker Mack Wilson (shoulder) is considered day-to-day with a strain, per head coach Kevin Stefanski. The Browns coach also said wide receiver Ryan Switzer (foot) and tight end Stephen Carlson (knee) will need surgery.
- Denver Broncos rookie cornerback Patrick Surtain II was held out of Tuesday's practice with soreness to a "lower extremity," according to coach Vic Fangio.
- The Indianapolis Colts have placed defensive end Damontre Moore on injured reserve.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have placed guard Sadarius Hutcherson on injured reserve.
- The Carolina Panthers placed Troy Pride on injured reserve.
- Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Tre Herndon is week-to-week with an MCL sprain.
- The New York Jets placed offensive lineman Cameron Clarke (back) on injured reserve.
- The Tennessee Titans placed defensive lineman Trevon Coley and defensive back Tedric Thompson on injured reserve. The Titans also waived/injured DB Maurice Smith.
- The New Orleans Saints placed offensive lineman Kyle Murphy on injured reserve and defensive back KeiVarae Russell on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Miami Dolphins have placed wide receiver Allen Hurns (wrist) on injured reserve.
- The Green Bay Packers placed tight end Isaac Nauta and wide receiver DeAndre Thompkins on injured reserve.
- The Detroit Lions placed linebacker Shaun Dion Hamilton on injured reserve.
- The New England Patriots placed receiver Marvin Hall.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed star safety Jamal Adams to a four-year, $70 million extension.
- The Packers are re-signing quarterback Jake Dolegala according to his agent, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
- The 49ers claimed defensive back Davontae Harris off waivers from the Ravens.
- The Broncos signed running back Adrian Killins Jr..
- The Saints are signing former first-round receiver Kevin White, Rapoport and Pelissero reported. White, 29, was released by the Niners on Aug. 11.
- The Los Angeles Chargers signed linebacker Davin Bellamy.
- The Buccaneers announced the signing of tackle Jake Benzinger.
- The Cardinals have been awarded punter Ryan Winslow off waivers from the Packers.
- The Lions signed quarterback Jordan Ta'amu.
- The Raiders signed linebacker Te'von Coley.
- The Titans signed safety Jamal Carter.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars have released tight end Tim Tebow. The Jags also waived cornerback DJ Daniel, waived/injured wide receiver Josh Imatorbhebhe, waived/injured WR Tim Jones, and waived/injured defensive tackle Daniel Ross.
- The San Francisco 49ers waived quarterback Josh Rosen. The team also released tight end Joshua Perkins, waived cornerback Ken Webster and waived/injured wideout Austin Watkins Jr.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers reduced their roster to the mandatory 85 players on Tuesday, waiving five players following the conclusion of the team's practice at Heinz Field. Those released were defensive end Abdullah Anderson, defensive back Stephen Denmark, wide receiver Isaiah McKoy, kicker Connor Slomka and offensive lineman Brandon Walton.
- The Kansas City Chiefs have waived/injured wide receiver Antonio Callaway and tight end Evan Baylis, and released rookie defensive back Manny Patterson and wide receiver Chad Williams.
- The Indianapolis Colts have waived tight end Graham Adomitis and running back Darius Anderson, and waived/injured wide receiver Quartney Davis and cornerback Nick Nelson, the team announced.
- The Philadelphia Eagles waived injured running back Kerryon Johnson, center Luke Juriga and tackle Casey Tucker.
- The Washington Football Team announced the release of tight end Nick Guggemos and cornerback Greg Stroman.
- The Denver Broncos waived defensive back Rojesterman Farris, linebacker Peter Kalambayi, defensive tackle Lorenzo Neal Jr. and designated wide receiver DeVontres Dukes and running back Levante Bellamy as waived/injured.
- The Chicago Bears waived linebacker Ledarius Mack, the younger brother of Bears star linebacker Khalil Mack. The team also waived defensive back Michael Joseph and released wide receiver Justin Hardy.
- The Minnesota Vikings released cornerback Amari Henderson.
- The New Orleans Saints waived running back Stevie Scott, terminated the contracts of cornerback Prince Amukamara and linebacker Noah Spence, and waived/injured kicker Brett Maher.
- The Los Angeles Chargers released quarterback KJ Costello and tight end Matt Seybert.
- The Carolina Panthers released fullback Rod Smith, and waived/injured tackle Matt Kaskey, center Mike Panasiuk and linebacker Nate Hall.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers waived injured guard Donell Stanley and wide receiver John Franklin following a failed physical.
- The New York Jets waived safety Bennett Jackson, running back Austin Walter and defenisve lineman Michael Dwumfour.
- The Miami Dolphins waived cornerback Jaytlin Askew, tackle Jonathan Hubbard, defensive tackle Jerome Johnson, guard Tyler Marz and tackle Timon Parris.
- The Green Bay Packers released OL Zack Johnson.
- The Detroit Lions waived defensive tackle Michael Barnett and injured wideout Chad Hansen. The team is also releasing longtime long snapper Don Muhlbach. The two-time Pro Bowler has been with the club since 2004.
- The Dallas Cowboys waived/injured linebacker Anthony Hines, wide receiver Brennan Eagles and cornerback Kyron Brown.
- The Los Angeles Rams waived kicker Austin MacGinnis, linebacker Derrick Moncrief, defensive back Dayan Lake, tackle Ryan Pope, defensive end Maximilian Roberts and defensive tackle George Silvanic.
- The Arizona Cardinals released punter Tyler Newsome.
- The Baltimore Ravens waived punter Johnny Townsend.
- The New England Patriots released tight end Troy Fumagalli.
- The Houston Texans waived receiver Isaiah Coulter and injured running back Dontrell Hilliard.
- The Tennessee Titans waived defensive back Reggie Floyd, punter James Smith and tight end Deon Yelder.