Collie goes down with second concussion in seven weeks

INDIANAPOLIS -- The brief return of Austin Collie re-energized Indy's offense.

Now, the Colts hope he'll be back in time for the playoffs.

The second-year receiver left just before halftime Sunday after getting hit in the head and sustaining his second diagnosed concussion in seven weeks.

"The only update I can give you is he's doing OK right now, but he had a concussion, and he'll be evaluated further," coach Jim Caldwell said after the game.

Caldwell isn't about to guess how long Collie might be out this time, especially with the NFL's emphasis this season on treating concussions and particularly repeat concussions.

He was injured late in the second quarter when Peyton Manning tried to thread a ball between two Jacksonville defenders on third-and-12. Collie appeared to catch the ball, but when the second defender, linebacker Daryl Smith, hit Collie in the head with his forearm, the ball came out.

The pass was ruled incomplete and no penalty was called.

But Collie again stayed down on the field, motionless for several minutes as the hushed crowd watched 10 coaches and trainers huddle around Collie. Smith, Manning and Jeff Saturday -- the two longest-tenured Colts -- all stood nearby.

The Colts won the game, 34-24.

Eventually, Collie sat up and walked straight to the locker room, missing the final 67 seconds of the half. He did not return and was not available for comment after the game.

"Whenever you seen anybody go down, it's tough, and with Austin, it happening again, we hope he bounces back with a speedy recovery," Indy receiver Reggie Wayne said. "I talked to him and he said it wasn't as bad as the last one, so that's the good news. But they're all bad."

For Collie, it was another tough day in a season full of ups and downs.

He was ranked among the league leaders in receptions until hurting his right thumb Oct. 17 at Washington. Surgery forced Collie to sit out the Colts next game.

He returned Nov. 7 against Philadelphia but left in the first half after Eagles defensive back Kurt Coleman lowered his shoulder to hit Collie and inadvertently had a helmet-to-helmet collision. Collie lay motionless on the field for about 10 minutes before being placed on a backboard and taken off the field on a stretcher.

Collie sat out the next week, then returned Nov. 21 against New England and left in the first quarter with concussion-like symptoms.

He didn't play again until Sunday when he showed up with a tinted visor underneath his face mask.

Collie played well early, catching eight of the 10 passes Manning threw his direction for 87 yards and two TDs.

Then came the hit by Smith and the whole perspective changed.

"He played great. He played great. He made two big catches, both touchdowns," Manning said. "You don't want to see anybody get injured on your team, so your thoughts and prayers go out to him right away."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.