Though the Kansas City Chiefs have yet to make a selection in the 2021 NFL Draft, that's not stopping them from adding talent.
The two-time reigning AFC champions are signing free-agent running back Jerick McKinnon, Good Morning Football's Peter Schrager reported Friday afternoon.
Once a high-profile signing by the San Francisco 49ers who was derailed by injuries, McKinnon, 28, still offers a burst in the backfield. Following four seasons to start his career with the Vikings, McKinnon moved on to the 49ers but missed all of the 2018 and 2019 campaigns due to knee injuries.
Last year, he saw action in all 16 games with four starts, compiling 319 yards and five touchdowns on 81 carries.
The Chiefs have added a new compliment to Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the backfield.
Here's other news Around The NFL is monitoring on Friday:
- The Atlanta Falcons passed on taking a quarterback in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft as the heir apparent of Matt Ryan and it doesn't appear as if they'll be picking up a new backup for Ryan, either. The Falcons announced Friday they agreed to terms with free agent quarterback AJ McCarron on a one-year deal. The Alabama product played in two games last season for the Texans, who McCarron spent his last two seasons with after a one-year run with the Raiders and starting his career with the Bengals.
- The Baltimore Ravens announced Friday they have excercised the fifth-year option of quarterback Lamar Jackson.
- The Carolina Panthers announced Friday they have picked up the fifth-year options of quarterback Sam Darnold and receiver D.J. Moore.
- The Denver Broncos have exercised the fifth-year option of defensive end Bradley Chubb, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported.
- The Green Bay Packers have picked up the fifth-year option of cornerback Jaire Alexander, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced Friday that they have waived defensive back Obi Melifonwu.