The Jacksonville Jaguars announced they have promoted quarterback Mike Glennon to the 53-man active roster and placed linebacker Quincy Williams on injured reserve. He's battling a core muscle injury.
Glennon was drafted by the Buccaneers in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He then had stints in Chicago (2017), Arizona (2018) and recently Oakland (2019). With the Raiders he played in two games and completed six passes for 56 yards and one TD. In his seven-year career, he has completed 488 of 801 passes (60.9 comp. pct.) for 5,163 yards and 36 TDs. Glennon gives Jacksonville a veteran behind rookie Jake Luton, who's listed on the unofficial depth chart to back up starter Gardner Minshew.
The Jags also filled out their 16-man practice squad by signing defensive tackle Daniel Ekuale and former Eagles cornerback Sidney Jones. Cornerback Tramaine Brock was released from the team's reserve/injured list via injury settlement.
The team later announced protections on Jones and three other practice squad players: running back Nathan Cottrell and tight ends Ben Ellefson and Matt Flanagan.
Here's other news, injuries and transactions we're tracking on Tuesday:
- Ahead of Thursday's kickoff game, Houston Texans receiver Brandin Cooks (quadricep) was a listed a non-participant in practice. Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce (knee) and defensive tackle Derrick Nnadi (ankle) were listed among the full participants after being limited on Monday.
- Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told reporters Eli Apple's ankle injury isn't related to his injury that he suffered last season. Apple was placed on injured reserve Monday and will miss at least the first three weeks of the season. The team also added linebacker Clay Johnston to the practice squad.
- Dallas Cowboys defensive end Randy Gregory, who was conditionally reinstated on Friday, agreed to a one-year extension through the 2021 season, the team announced. He was set to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season.
- The Arizona Cardinals have agreed to terms with wideout DeAndre Hopkins on a two-year extension worth $54.5 million in new money, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. The team signed defensive lineman Angelo Blackson to a one-year contract and has released defensive lineman Michael Dogbe. The Cards also signed tight end Jordan Thomas and punter Richie Leone to the practice squad and released TE Dylan Cantrell from the practice squad.
- The Cleveland Browns are giving running back Kareem Hunt a two-year, $13.25 million extension, Rapoport reported. The later confirmed the move. Cleveland also signed offensive lineman Greg Senat to the practice squad.
- The Indianapolis Colts today signed running back Darius Anderson and tight end Charlie Taumoepeau to the practice squad and released tight end Xavier Grimble from the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions placed protections on the following practice squad players: quarterback David Blough, tight end Isaac Nauta, cornerback Dee Virgin & running back Jonathan Williams.
- The Atlanta Falcons announced defensive end Steven Means has been activated off the reserve/COVID-19 list. In a corresponding move, linebacker Deone Bucannon was released and subsequently signed with the practice squad.
- The Chicago Bears placed starting kicker Eddy Pineiro on injured reserve Tuesday. That sets up Cairo Santos to open the season as Chicago's kicker. Chicago also signed defensive end Mario Edwards Jr.
- Tight end Richard Rodgers re-joined the Philadelphia Eagles, the team announced. A third-round pick by the Packers in 2015 where he played for four seasons, Rodgers has spent the last two years with the Eagles but missed all of last year with a foot injury. He signed with Washington in free agency in April before being released on cutdown day. The team also placed protections on the following practice squad players: receiver Deontay Burnett, guard Sua Opeta, defensive end Joe Ostman and cornerback Trevor Williams.
- The New York Jets released receiver Josh Bellamy from the reserve/PUP list.
- The Cincinnati Bengals signed linebacker Keandre Jones and guard Keaton Sutherland to the practice squad.
- The Tennessee Titans added defensive back Chris Miller to their practice squad.
- The Las Vegas Raiders added offensive tackle Jaryd Jones-Smith to the practice squad.
- The Seattle Seahawks promoted receiver Penny Hart from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and waived WR John Ursua.
- The New York Giants signed defensive back Ryan Lewis and running back Rod Smith to the practice squad, and terminated receiver Derrick Dillon.
- The Buffalo Bills added receiver Jake Kumerow and defensive tackle Chris Slayton to the practice squad & released offensive tackle Brandon Walton and tight end Nate Becker. The team also waived fullback Patrick DiMarco with an injury settlement.
- The Miami Dolphins placed protections on the following practice squad players: cornerback Tae Hayes, tight end Chris Myarick, quarterback Jake Rudock and CB Ken Webster.
- The Minnesota Vikings have signed defensive tackle Albert Huggins, kicker Chase McLaughlin and linebacker Hardy Nickerson to the practice squad.
- The New England Patriots added receivers Mason Kinsey and Kristian Wilkerson to the practice squad.