Johnathan Abram's hard-hitting play is cutting into his salary.
The second-year Las Vegas Raiders safety is appealing $80,000 in fines for two hits in a Week 12 game vs. the Atlanta Falcons, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported.
Neither hit by Abram was flagged during the game but the league says Abram lowered the head to initiate contact, according to Pelissero. The hits from Abram came against Falcons running back Ito Smith in the backfield and the other along the sideline on wideout Russell Gage, which nearly leveled Raiders coach Jon Gruden.
The league also considers Abram a repeat offender after his hit on Broncos receiver DaeSean Hamilton last year. The play happened to end Abram's rookie season after sustaining a rotator cuff injury. Abram's appeal for that fine was unsuccessful.
Considering Abram's base salary is roughly $41,000 a week after taxes, according to Pelissero, the high-flying safety may need to tread lightly when searching for his next big play.
Here's other news, injuries and transactions we're tracking on Saturday:
- The NFL announced a number of fines stemming from the brawl in Week 13's Bengals-Dolphins game, per Pelissero: Miami Dolphins WR Mack Hollins, who was ejected, was fined $4,412 for unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness; WR DeVante Parker, who also was ejected, was fined $10,500. Defensive ends Emmanuel Ogbah ($10,000) and Christian Wilkins ($12,500) were also penalized. Also, running back Myles Gaskin has been placed on the reserve/COVID list, according to Pelissero. Miami later confirmed the move and announced that tight end Chris Myarick and DE Tyshun Render (COVID-19 replacements) were elevated for Sunday along with RB Elijah McGuire.
- Cleveland Browns tight end Austin Hooper (neck) is officially questionable for Monday night vs. the Ravens. Coach Kevin Stefanski said he "can't put odds" on Hooper playing, which makes him a true game-time decision. Cornerback Denzel Ward (calf) and wideout KhaDarel Hodge have been ruled out.
- The L.A. Chargers activated running back Justin Jackson from IR and waived linebacker Asmar Bilal. The team also activated LB B.J. Bello from the practice squad. Also, L.A. signed punter Lachlan Edwards to the practice squad and released receiver Manasseh Bailey. Defensive end Joey Bosa was fined $15,000 for roughing Patriots QB Cam Newton with a low hit in Week 13, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.
- The Arizona Cardinals have activated defensive lineman Jordan Phillips and cornerback Kevin Peterson from injured reserve while placing CB Johnathan Joseph (neck) on IR. The team also downgraded kicker Zane Gonzalez to out for Sunday's game vs. the Giants and have elevated Mike Nugent from the practice squad in response. Tight end Seth DeValve was also elevated from the practice squad tot he active roster.
- The Green Bay Packers are signing tight end Dominique Dafney to the active roster, a source tells Rapoport. The former Indiana State wideout was previously on the Packers practice squad. The team later confirmed the move and announced that running back AJ Dillon has been activated from the exempt/COVID-19 list, receiver Juwann Winfree and guard Ben Braden were elevated from the practice squad and former Lions TE Isaac Nauta was signed to the practice squad.
- The Detroit Lions elevated defensive end Kareem Martin, tackle Dan Skipper and S Bobby Price (COVID-19 replacement) from the practice squad to the active/inactive list. Detroit also placed DE Everson Griffen on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Denver Broncos guard Graham Glasgow (foot) has been downgraded to out vs. the Panthers on Sunday. Safety Trey Marshall (shin) and wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland (illness) have also been downgraded to out. The team has also activated linebacker Derrek Tuszka from injured reserve, promoted tight end Troy Fumagalli and safety Alijah Holder from the practice squad to the active roster and elevated linebacker Josh Watson as a COVID-19 replacement.
- Dallas Cowboys center Tyler Biadasz is being activated from injured reserve. The rookie starter was placed on IR after sustaining a hamstring injury in Week 8. Cowboys safety Donovan Wilson (groin) and cornerback Anthony Brown (ribs) have been ruled out for Sunday and won't make the trip to Cincinnati. The team has also elevated tackle William Sweet and CB Chris Westry from the practice squad to the active roster, waived C Adam Redmond and elevated CB Saivion Smith to the active roster as a COVID-19 replacement.
- The San Francisco 49ers have placed guard Tom Compton (concussion) on injured reserve. The team announced that defensive lineman Alex Barrett and cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun have been promoted to the active roster from the practice squad while DL Darrion Daniels and OL Dakoda Shepley have been activated from the practice squad for Sunday.
- Tennessee Titans safety Kenny Vaccaro (illness) has been added to the injury report and is now questionable vs. the Jaguars. The team also activated cornerback Kareem Orr from injured reserve and placed CB Breon Borders (hip) on IR while linebackers Tuzar Skipper and Wyatt Ray have been elevated from the practice squad to the active roster. Defensive lineman Teair Tart was officially placed on the reserve/suspended list.
- The Cincinnati Bengals have signed safety Trayvon Henderson and wide receiver Stanley Morgan to the active roster from its practice squad. The team also elevated defensive tackle Kahlil McKenzie from the practice squad to the active roster as a COVID-19 replacement. Cornerback Mackensie Alexander was fined $15,000 for an illegal crackback block in Week 13 against Miami; WR Mike Thomas was fined $4,853 for an illegal hit on Dolphins WR Jakeem Grant. Thomas was flagged for unneccesary roughness for the hit.
- New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees is feeling better and going through different throwing motion rehab drills, but nobody has seen him throw a football yet, Pelissero reported on Good Morning Football Weekend. The next few days will be big in determining whether or not Brees will return next week vs. the Kansas City Chiefs. The Saints later announced a few moves: defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins and cornerback Justin Hardee were activated off IR; CB Patrick Robinson was placed on IR and receivers Tommylee Lewis and Juwan Johnson were elevated from the practice squad. Defensive back Chauncey Gardner-Johnson was fined $5,128 for unnecessary roughness as he tangled with Falcons WR Russell Gage after the whistle in Week 13.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers elevated cornerback Herb Miller to the active roster and added tight end Cameron Brate (illness) to the injury report. Brate is questionable for Week 14.
- Indianapolis Colts punter Ryan Allen and center Joey Hunt have been elevated from the practice squad to the active roster. The team has also signed tackle J'Marcus Webb to the practice squad.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars signed practice squad kicker Aldrick Rosas to the active roster and waived K Chase McLaughlin. The Jags also elevated practice squad offensive lineman Tre'Vour Wallace-Simms and cornerback Quenton Meeks to the active/inactive list.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have promoted cornerback Kevon Seymour to the active roster from the practice squad after placing guard Marcus Peters on injured reserve. Linebacker Rashad Smith and CB Jameson Houston have been elevated to the active roster from the practice squad.
- Indianapolis Colts tackle Anthony Castonzo, listed as questionable with a knee injury, is tracking toward playing on Sunday vs. the Raiders. Castonzo missed last week's game due to the injury. Pelissero adds that Philip Rivers' turf toe injury is improving. Rivers is likely to need offseason surgery for the injury, according to Rapoport.
- The Kansas City Chiefs have activated guard Stefen Wisniewski and cornerback Chris Lammons from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Minnesota Vikings have signed linebacker Hardy Nickerson to the active roster. LB Blake Lynch was elevated to the active roster from the practice squad while safety Curtis Riley was waived.
- The New York Giants activated defensive back Jarren Williams from the practice squad.
- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Robert Spillane (knee) has been placed on injured reserve while LB Ulysees Gilbert was activated to the active roster. LB Tegray Scales was also activated to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons downgraded OL Kaleb McGary to out and flexed defensive back T.J. Green and C Willie Wright to the active roster.
- The Houston Texans signed safety Jonathan Owens to the active roster from the practice squad and waived defensive Nate Orchard. Houston also elevated cornerback Anthony Chesley and receiver Chad Hansen as standard elevations, as well as WR Steven Mitchell (COVID-19 replacement) for Week 14.
- Buffalo Bills linebacker Tyrel Dodson has been activated from the injured reserve list.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed tackle Chad Wheeler off the practice squad, and elevated practice squad linebacker Ray-Ray Armstrong.
- The L.A. Rams placed practice squad linebacker Jachai Polite on the reserve/COVID list.
- The New York Jets activated cornerback Blessuan Austin and tight end Trevon Wesco off IR; signed receiver Lawrence Cager and safety Saquan Hampton; elevated linebacker Noah Dawkins and WR Jaleel Scott; and placed S Ashtyn Davis, S Bennett Jackson and guard Greg Van Roten on IR.