Sony Michel will be making his long-awaited return on Sunday.
Sources tell NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that the New England Patriots running back will be activated from injured reserve and is set to play on Sunday vs. the Houston Texans.
Michel hasn't played since Week 3 and was placed on IR on Oct. 5 with a quad injury.
Damien Harris has carved out a valuable role in Michel's absence. The second-year RB leads the team with 471 rushing yards and 85 attempts. Harris is coming off his best game of the season against the Ravens, where he ran for a season-high 121 yards, which was his third 100-plus yard game in his six games played this year.
Michel totaled 173 yards on 26 attempts in his three games this season. How New England handles a healthy backfield going forward remains to be seen, but a running back by committee approach has been typical for Bill Belichick-ran teams in recent years.
In a corresponding move, the Patriots waived offensive lineman Hjalte Froholdt and defensive lineman Derek Rivers. The team also signed DL Akeem Spence to the practice squad and elevated linebacker Terez Hall and receiver Donte Moncrief to the 53-man roster from the practice squad. Defensive tackle Adam Butler and running back J.J. Taylor have been ruled out for Sunday's game at Houston.
Here's other injuries and roster news we're tracking on Saturday:
- Tennessee Titans pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney (knee) is being placed on injured reserve. The team also placed cornerback Kareem Orr (groin) on IR. In corresponding moves, the teams elevated linebackers Will Compton and Tuzar Skipper to the game day roster but will revert back to the practice squad following Sunday's game. Defensive back Greg Mabin was also elevated from the practice squad to the active roster. Practice squad long snapper Matt Overton (COVID-19 replacement) was elevated to the game day roster. Safety Kenny Vaccaro (neck) will not play Sunday.
- The Kansas City Chiefs announced a number of roster moves: receiver Sammy Watkins (hamstring/calf) has been ruled out for Sunday's game, defensive end Taco Charlton and offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz have been placed on IR; and DE Alex Okafor and safety L'Jarius Sneed have been activated from IR. The team also activated WR Gehrig Dieter and OL Bryan Witzmann from the practice squad and WR Mecole Hardman from the reserve/COVID list.
- Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon (foot) has been placed on injured reserve and will miss at least three more games. The team also announced it has elevated guard Quinton Spain and cornerback Jalen Davis from the practice squad to the active roster. In other news, rookie wide receiver Tee Higgins was fined $9,291 for unsportsmanlike conduct after dunking the ball over the crossbar in a TD celebration last Sunday, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports.
- The Detroit Lions elevated defensive tackle Frank Herron and receiver Mohamed Sanu from the practice squad to the active roster. Sanu signed with the 49ers on Sept. 18 and was featured sparingly in Weeks 2-4. He was released on Oct. 6 and signed with the Lions practice squad a month later.
- Houston Texans defensive back Michael Thomas has a torn pectoral and will undergo season-ending surgery, sources tell NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. Thomas tweeted on Saturday morning that surgery "went well." Thomas sustained the injury during last week's loss to the Browns but managed to finish the game. The seven-year veteran is set to hit free agency this spring with plenty of time to get healthy. Also, Houston signed linebacker Nate Hall to the active roster from the practice squad and elevated offensive lineman Greg Mancz and running back Scottie Phillips to the active roster from the practice squad.
- The New Orleans Saints signed tight end Garrett Griffin to the active roster from the practice squad and elevated defensive tackle Ryan Glasgow to the active roster from the practice squad.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul was fined $15,000 for roughing on a sack of Panthers QB Teddy Bridgewater last Sunday, Pelissero reported. Bridgewater suffered a minor knee injury on the play and is questionable this week. Bruce Arians said guard Ali Marpet will try and do some stuff in practice after sitting out yesterday trying to recover from a concussion. Arians added that they're not going to push it considering that Marpet still has "a little bit of symptoms." Marpet's status for MNF is uncertain.
- Cleveland Browns tackle Jack Conklin and kicker Cody Parkey have been activated from the reserve/COVID list, clearing their way for a return on Sunday. The team also announced they have elevated guard Michael Dunn, defensive end Cameron Malveaux, and fullback Johnny Stanton from the practice squad.
- The Atlanta Falcons flexed quarterback Kurt Benkert to the active roster.
- Denver Broncos quarterback Drew Lock (shoulder) is set to start vs. the Dolphins, according to 9News' Mike Klis, Rapoport confirmed. Lock is officially listed as questionable but has managed to partake in practice all week. The Broncos elevated tight end Troy Fumagalli from the practice squad to the game day roster. Offensive tackle Elijah Wilkinson from IR to the active roster.
- The Minnesota Vikings signed kicker Tristan Vizcaino to the practice squad. Long snapper Andrew DePaola was also signed to the practice squad and moved to the active roster, along with offensive tackle Aviante Collins. Fullback C.J. Ham was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The L.A. Chargers activated linebackers B.J. Bello and Cole Christiansen, as well as safety Jaylen Watkins, from the practice squad. L.A. also placed LB Kyzir White on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Dallas Cowboys have activated offensive tackle Brandon Knight & placed rookie OT Tyler Biadasz on IR.
- Green Bay Packers punter J.K. Scott (personal matter) and cornerback Kevin King (Achilles) have been added to the injury report and are questionable for Sunday vs. the Colts. The Packers signed P Drew Kaser and elevated running back Mike Weber from the practice squad to the active roster.
- The Washington Football Team is promoting Cole Luke from the practice squad and signing the cornerback to the active roster, Rapoport reports, per his agents.
- The Indianapolis Colts have elevated defensive end Cassius Marsh and defensive tackle Rob Windsor from the practice squad to the active roster. The team also elevated center Joey Hunt to the active roster as a COVID-19 replacement. Defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad was fined $10,500 for smacking Titans OL Ty Sambrailo, per Pelissero. Muhammad was ejected.
- San Francisco 49ers safety Jimmie Ward was fined $15,000 for a hit on Saints receiver Tre'Quan Smith, who suffered a concussion, according to Pelissero.
- The Carolina Panthers have signed linebacker Chris Orr to the active roster. In a corresponding move, the Panthers waived linebacker Sean Chandler. The Panthers also elevated defensive back Natrell Jamerson from the practice squad to the active roster and signed kicker Taylor Bertolet and linebacker Daniel Bituli to its practice squad.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have elevated running back Elijah Holyfield from the practice squad to the active roster. The team also elevated defensive tackle T.Y. McGill, defensive end Joe Ostman and tight end Caleb Wilson from the practice squad as COVID-19 replacements.
- The Arizona Cardinals have released tight end Evan Baylis and linebacker Reggie Walker.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers activated defensive lineman Chris Wormley off IR and to the active roster. He was placed on the list on Oct. 31 after suffering a knee injury against the Titans in Week 7.
- The Miami Dolphins elevated tight end Chris Myarick to the active roster.
- The New York Jets activated linebacker Frankie Luvu off IR, placed cornerback Blessuan Austin on IR and signed quarterback Mike White to the active roster.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars promoted cornerback D.J. Hayden to the active roster off the reserve/injured-designated to return list. Tight end Eric Saubert and linebacker Joe Giles-Harris were promoted to the active roster. Running back Craig Reynolds was signed to the practice squad and safety Doug Middleton was waived. Receiver Terry Godwin and RB Nathan Cottrell were elevated to the active roster.