Detroit is welcoming one of its former tight ends back to the Motor City.
Veteran Darren Fells, who played with the Lions in 2017, has agreed to a deal to return to the club, per the team. NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday the deal is for one year.
Fells, 35, spent the past two seasons with the Texans. He appeared in 32 games (28 starts) and logged 55 receptions, 653 yards and 11 touchdowns.
An undrafted prospect out of UC Irvine in 2013, Fells has also spent previous stints with the Seahawks, Cardinals and Browns.
Elsewhere around the NFL on Wednesday:
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers signed safety Raven Greene and linebacker Joe Jones. Tampa also hired Thaddeus Lewis and A.Q. Shipley to the coaching staff. Lewis will replace Antwaan Randle El as the Bucs' assistant wide receivers coach, while Shipley, who retired at the end of the 2020 season due to injury, will begin his coaching career as an offensive assistant.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are signing former Notre Dame receiver Chris Finke, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per an informed source. Safety Will Parks is also signing with the team, NFL Network's James Palmer, per a source.
- Former Lions, 49ers and Raiders defensive end Jeremiah Valoaga is scheduled to visit with the Washington Football Team this week, Garafolo reported, per a source. Valoaga, who was waived in March, was a high-risk opt-out for the 2020 season.
- The Dallas Cowboys released defensive tackle Antwaun Woods after three seasons. The club also cut cornerbacks Saivion Smith and Kemon Hall, center Adam Redmond, defensive tackle Walter Palmore and defensive end La'Darius Hamilton.
- The Las Vegas Raiders made their signing of cornerback Casey Hayward and release of safety Jeff Heath official.
- The Indianapolis Colts signed linebacker Malik Jefferson.
- The New York Jets claimed wide receiver Matt Cole off waivers from the 49ers.
- The Seattle Seahawks claimed linebacker Nate Evans off waivers from the Jaguars.
- The Denver Broncos released running back Jeremy Cox.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars released linebacker Joe Giles-Harris and defensive back Nathan Meadors.
- The San Francisco 49ers released defensive backs Adonis Alexander and Chris Edwards.
- The Chicago Bears signed wide receiver Damiere Byrd.
- The Washington Football Team signed former Chiefs tight end Deon Yelder, Pelissero reported, per Yelder's agent.