The Chiefs' best replacement for Tyreek Hill needed some help getting to the locker room Wednesday.
Mecole Hardman exited practice early and is being evaluated for a groin injury, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday, per a source. The severity of the injury is unknown at this point, but Hardman being able to walk off before hopping on a cart to get to the building was a good sign, per Rapoport.
Hardman is Kansas City's best remaining speed threat at receiver after the Chiefs traded Hill to Miami in the offseason, and he'll be expected to take a bigger role in their offense in 2022. He's far from their only option, of course, with new additions Marquez Valdes-Scantling, JuJu Smith-Schuster and 2022 draft pick pick Skyy Moore also available. Former late-round pick Justin Watson also joined the Chiefs after four seasons spent with the Buccaneers, and has flashed the potential to make the team early in the preseason.
Still, Hardman is a key part of the Chiefs' offensive ambitions in 2022. They'll wait to see just how severe his groin injury is and hope his timeline to return isn't too long with just three weeks left before the regular season begins.
- Center Tyler Linderbaum is likely to return to practice and take part in individual drills on Friday, head coach John Harbaugh said Wednesday.
- TE Andrew Ogletree suffered a torn ACL, effectively ending his season, NFL Network Insiders Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday night. Ogletree went down at practice Wednesday with a non-contact knee injury, with head coach Frank Reich saying it "didn't look good."
- QB Matthew Stafford (elbow) told reporters Wednesday that he "felt good" a day after an intrasquad scrimmage where he participated in full. Stafford also said that while he's not sure whether his tendinitis will fully go away before the start of the season, he will play through any lingering soreness.
- OT James Hurst is dealing with a foot injury, head coach Dennis Allen said Wednesday.
- RB Kenneth Walker III underwent a procedure to repair a hernia -- not a sports hernia or core muscle injury -- and Walker is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for Week 1, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday.
LAS VEGAS RECEIVES:
- Round 7, 2024 (conditional)
- NT Johnathan Hankins passed his physical and was activated off of the physically unable to perform list.
- DB Trayvon Mullen passed his physical and was activated off of the PUP list.
- DE Bilal Nichols passed his physical and was activated off of the PUP list.
- WR Dillon Stoner passed his physical and was activated off of the PUP list.
- Quarterback Lamar Jackson will not play in Sunday's preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals, head coach John Harbaugh announced.
- OT La'el Collins was not at practice as he attends to a personal matter, head coach Zac Taylor said Wednesday. Taylor did not say when he expects Collins back, other than saying he expects him to be ready to go for Week 1.
- WR Julio Jones will not play in this week's preseason game against the Titans, per head coach Todd Bowles.
NFL+ gives you the freedom to watch LIVE out-of-market preseason games, LIVE local and prime-time regular-season and postseason games on your phone or tablet, the best NFL programming on-demand and more! Wherever you are, this is how you football! Learn more about NFL+.