Sam Darnold is still feeling the effects of a rough night at the office Monday.
The Jets quarterback is reportedly sporting padded shoes and limping as a result of having his damaged toenail removed. New York coach Adam Gase told reporters Darnold would only partake in individual drills and 7-on-7 before the team decided if he'd do any more Wednesday. Afterward, he was listed as a DNP.
Darnold will be eager to make amends for a career-worst performance Monday versus the Patriots. In just his second game back from a five-week bout with mononucleosis, he completed 11 of 32 passes for 86 yards while committing five turnovers, inducing four interceptions. He was also forced to smack a bad snap out of the end zone for a safety. It was only the fourth time he's failed to throw a TD but the second occurrence against New England.
The Jets play at Jacksonville on Sunday. The status of linebacker C.J. Mosley remains unclear. After being sidelined for six weeks with an injured groin, Mosley returned versus the Pats but now might have a more serious issue. He didn't practice Wednesday.
"It might be more than the groin," Gase said, adding that Mosley will undergo further examination from doctors.
Here is other news we're monitoring Wednesday:
- Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson said wide receiver DeSean Jackson (abdomen) won't practice but noted he is "getting close."
- Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said running back David Johnson (back) will miss practice. Arizona signed running backs Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner, which Kingsbury attributed to needing bodies for practice reps.
- Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green (ankle) and defensive end Carlos Dunlap (knee) were limited in practice. Offensive tackle Cordy Glenn returned to practice after being out with a concussion.
- Carolina Panthers linebacker Brian Burns (wrist) did not practice and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy (knee) and linebacker Shaq Thompson (ankle) were limited. Cornerback Donte Jackson (groin), who's been out since Week 3, was a full participant.
Quarterback Cam Newton (food) did not practice Wednesday, but was seen rehabbing off to the side for a second consecutive day. "So far, so good," coach Ron Rivera told reporters regarding Newton's rehab.
- The Tennessee Titans designated kicker Ryan Succop to return from IR. Succop was placed on injured reserve at the beginning of the season with a knee injury. He can now begin practicing and cannot be added to the active roster until after Week 8.
- Green Bay Packers receiver Davante Adams (toe) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. Quarterback Aaron Rodgers (knee) was limited, as was tight end Jimmy Graham (ankle).
- San Francisco 49ers left tackle Joe Staley (fibula) returned to practice in a limited capacity on Wednesday. Staley has been out since Week 2.