NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday morning that Matthews will undergo thumb surgery to stabilize the digit, according to a source informed of the decision. The receiver is expected to miss about a month.
Head coach Sean McDermott confirmed the news later Monday.
More bad news for the Bills: Linebacker Ramon Humber also broke his thumb Sunday. There is no timetable for his return, according to McDermott.
Other injury news we're tracking on Monday:
- Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones suffered a hip flexor injury on Sunday against the Bills. Per Rapoport, Jones underwent tests Monday and the injury is believed to be minor. The team took him out of the game mostly as a precaution. With the bye week, Jones shouldn't miss any time. Head coach Dan Quinn said of his star wideout: "Julio Jones is a faster healer than the average cat."
Following his MRI, wideout Mohamed Sanu is out 2-3 weeks with a hamstring injury, Rapoport reported, per a source.
- New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham is dealing with the aftermath of a dislocated finger her suffered Sunday:
- Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman suffered a fractured rib during the second quarter of Monday's loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, coach Jay Gruden said. He will undergo further evaluation, but the Redskins fear he might be dealing with a lung issue, a source informed of the situation told Rapoport. Running back Rob Kelley suffered a sprained ankle and safety Deshazor Everett injured his hamstring. Left tackle Trent Williams suffered a sprained knee and safety Montae Nicholson injured his AC joint.
- Seattle Seahawks running back Chris Carson suffered a fracture in his leg below his knee during Sunday's win over the Colts, coach Pete Carroll said Monday morning in a radio interview. The team placed him on injured reserve. Carroll said later Monday there's an outside Carson, who will undergo surgery, returns this season.
In addition, Carroll said Monday that offensive lineman Rees Odhiambo is has been released from the hospital after he was admitted last night. Odhiambo has a bruised sternum.
Carroll also told reporters that defensive end Cliff Avril (neck) will be out "a while." Rapoport reported that Avril is experiencing some numbness down his arm.
- Minnesota Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer confirmed on Monday that rookie running back Dalvin Cook suffered a torn ACL in Minnesota's loss to Detroit and will miss the rest of the season.
- Indianapolis Colts center Deyshawn Bond has torn the quad muscle that connects to the kneecap and will need surgery, according to Rapoport.
- Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett may finally be making his NFL debut on Sunday. The top overall pick in April's draft has been battling an ankle injury but head coach Hue Jackson said Monday that "I hope that's where he's going" when asked about the Texas A&M product playing this weekend against the Jets.
- Oakland Raiders coach Jack Del Rio told reporters that quarterback Derek Carr has a transverse process fracture in his back. He will miss at least two weeks.