The breakout of D'Andre Swift is still on hold.
The emerging rookie running back officially was inactive for the Lions' Thanksgiving Day loss to the Texans. Swift was listed as questionable after missing the previous week with a concussion.
His absence again paved the way for Adrian Peterson to start and Kerryon Johnson to split carries. It wasn't a winning formula against the Panthers either, as Detroit was shut out in Week 11 while held to 40 rushing yards. The Lions had scored at least 20 points in every other game this season, with Swift pacing the backfield with 4.7 yards per carry, six touchdowns and 31 receptions.
Detroit (4-7) was looking to find that production elsewhere in what was a must-win situation as it concerns the playoffs.
Cornerback Desmond Trufant was ruled out against the Texans after suffering a hamstring injury in the first half.
Here's other news, injuries and transactions we're tracking on Thursday:
- Dallas Cowboys right tackle Zack Martin was ruled out against Washington with a calf injury, while left tackle Cameron Erving was ruled out with a knee injury. It was annnounced after the game that Martin suffered a calf strain and Erving sustained a right knee sprain.
- Arizona Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold and tight end Chris Herndon (back) were full participants in Thursday's practice. It's the first time Darnold has been full-go in several weeks and perhaps puts him in line to return Sunday versus the Dolphins.
- Washington kicker Dustin Hopkins (groin) was good to go after Washington did not elevate a kicker from its practice squad.
- The Baltimore Ravens added defensive end Jihad Ward to the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores told reporters he's not "too worried about" the hand injury quarterback Tua Tagovailoa suffered in practice Wednesday. "He got banged up a little bit. He's a tough kid. He's going to do everything he can from a treatment standpoint. We'll see. ... He's better today. We'll see how it goes." NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Wednesday that Tagovailoa jammed his left thumb during practice. The rookie was limited Thursday. The Dolphins announced they have activated guard/tackle Jesse Davis and wide receiver Matt Cole off the reserve/COVID-19 list, with Cole being restored to the practice squad.
- Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray was limited in practice for the second day in a row with a right shoulder injury.
- The Cleveland Browns removed offensive tackle Chris Hubbard from the reserve/COVID-19 list. Defensive end Porter Gustin was added to the list.
- Chicago Bears quarterback Nick Foles (hip) did not practice for the second day in a row. Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, who'd been out with a shoulder injury, was again a full participant, putting him in line to start Sunday versus the Packers. Defensive tackle Akiem Hicks (hamstring) did not practice Thursday either.
- Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Clelin Ferrell was removed from the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- Green Bay Packers wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling (Achilles) and cornerback Kevin King (Achilles) were added to the injury report as limited participants. Wide receiver Davante Adams (ankle) did not practice Thursday after being limited Wednesday.
- Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio told reporters that backup quarterback Jeff Driskel will be placed on the team's reserve/COVID-19 list. The Broncos have worked with the league, and starting quarterback Drew Lock is not considered a close contact and can continue to practice and prepare for Sunday's game versus the Saints, NFL Network's James Palmer reported. Wide receiver Jerry Jeudy (ankle/Achilles) did not practice Thursday after being limited Wednesday. Linebacker Malik Reed (ankle) was added to the injury report and was limited.
- Atlanta Falcons wide receivers Julio Jones (hamstring) and Calvin Ridley (foot) were limited at practice, while running back Todd Gurley (knee) and tight end Hayden Hurst were held out.
- New England Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore (hand) remained limited in practice.
- The Jaguars placed cornerback/return specialist Chris Claybrooks (core muscle) on injured reserve. Wide receiver D.J. Chark (ribs) did not practice Thursday.
- The Los Angeles Rams placed linebacker Micah Kiser, who injured his knee this past Monday versus the Buccaneers, on IR.
- New York Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard (hip/toe) was limited at practice. Guard Kevin Zeitler (concussion) was a full participant.
- Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Ezra Cleveland (ankle) did not practice for the second consecutive day. Tight end Irv Smith (groin/back) was also out after being limited Wednesday. Safety Harrison Smith (neck) returned as a limited participant.
- New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara (foot) and wide receiver Michael Thomas (ankle) were both limited for the second straight day. Running back Ty Montgomery was also limited after being added to the report with a hamstring injury.
- Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson (ankle) did not practice Thursday. Defensive end Derek Barnett (knee), offensive tackle Phil Driscoll (knee), center Jason Kelce (elbow), and running back Boston Scott were limited.
- Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Joe Haden (knee) remained limited in practice. The team also placed safety Trey Edmunds on injured reserve.