Sanchez hopes 50-plus Jets will gather for next workouts

Mark Sanchez is prepared to pull the trigger on full-team, player-only workouts if the NFL lockout lingers.

Sanchez and his New York Jets teammates -- like many players -- are awaiting news after Friday's lockout-injunction hearing at the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. But a definitive decision could take weeks, so the quarterback doesn't plan to wait around to work out.

"We're working on that," Sanchez told the New York Daily News at a charity event Thursday night. "We want to see what's going to happen with this hearing tomorrow and see what kind of ruling they're thinking about. ... We wanted to be cognizant of that and see where that's going to take us before we plan something and have to cancel a bunch of flights."

The third-year pro held his "Jets West" camp last month at Mission Viejo High School in Southern California for the second consecutive offseason. The camp gave Sanchez and offensive skill players such as running back LaDainian Tomlinson, tight end Dustin Keller and wide receiver Braylon Edwards an opportunity to practice together during the lockout.

Sanchez hopes future workouts will bring together most of the roster from a Jets team that has come within one game of the Super Bowl the past two seasons.

"How many guys do we have on our team? Fifty-something?" Sanchez said. "Hopefully 50-something. That's what we're shooting for. You can't bank on every free agent showing up. We understand that. That's the business side of things. We happen to be one of those teams with a couple handfuls of free agents, so we'll figure it out.

"It's important for the continuity purposes ... just to be around them again and get the timing back."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.
Gamepass_vert_web_r

See all the Action

Replay every game all season.