As rookies begin reporting to training camp, many of them are finally signing their first NFL contracts.
The Cleveland Browns locked up the remainder of their draft class Saturday, as first-round cornerback Greg Newsome II and third-round wide receiver Anthony Schwartz put pen to paper.
Newsome is expected to contend for a starting job right away opposite Denzel Ward. The Northwestern product will have to beat out former first-rounder Greedy Williams, who's still recovering from a nerve injury that sidelined him for all of the 2020 season. Schwartz, who also sprinted at Auburn, will be fighting for snaps amid a relatively deep receiving corps in Cleveland.
Only three 2021 first-rounders remain unsigned: Jets quarterback Zach Wilson (No. 2 overall), 49ers QB Trey Lance (No. 3) and Chargers offensive tackle Rashawn Slater (No. 13).
Other news and notes we're tracking on Saturday:
- The Chicago Bears are trading receiver Anthony Miller to the Texans, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, via informed sources. Rapoport added that the Bears exchanged a late-round pick swap for the former second-round wideout. Miller, 26, has been involved in trade rumors dating back to April.
- The Denver Broncos signed second-round running back Javonte Williams and third-round offensive lineman Quinn Meinerz to their rookie contracts. Williams was the third RB to come off the board after making a star turn at North Carolina in 2020. Meinerz, who hails from Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater, figures to get looks at guard and center. Also, cornerbacks Essang Bassey and Duke Dawson, as well as rookie linebacker Baron Browning, were placed on the PUP list.
- The Tennessee Titans agreed to terms with third-round linebacker Monty Rice. All eight of Tennessee's 2021 draft picks are now under contract. The Titans also placed linebacker Bud Dupree, running back Jeremy McNichols and offensive tackle Ty Sambrailo on the physically unable to perform list, cornerback Caleb Farley and offensive lineman Aaron Brewer on the non-football injury list and defensive tackle Abry Jones was placed on the reserve/retired list.
- The Miami Dolphins restructured the contract of linebacker Benardrick McKinney, whom they acquired in exchange for defensive end Shaq Lawson and a 2021 sixth-round pick in March.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars placed cornerback Chris Claybrooks on the reserve/COVID-19 list.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers placed tight end Cameron Brate and wide receiver Justin Watson on the PUP list and signed tight end De'Quan Hampton.
- The Green Bay Packers placed linebacker Ray Wilborn on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Running back Patrick Taylor was placed on the PUP list.
- The Kansas City Chiefs placed defensive back Armani Watts on the PUP list and defensive end Malik Herring on the non-football injury list.
- The Seattle Seahawks signed running back Cameron Scarlett.