Cincinnati Bengals rookie defensive end Joseph Ossai's impressive first preseason showing is unfortunately likely to be the last seen of Ossai for some time.
Ossai is scheduled to undergo knee surgery this week for a meniscus injury that is likely to be season-ending, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Sunday morning.
Ossai, a rookie third-round pick for Cincinnati, sacked Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady in the Bengals' preseason opener and had five QB pressures.
The Bengals, in a corresponding move, are signing veteran defensive end Noah Spence, Pelissero added.
- Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich announced Sunday that quarterback Carson Wentz (foot), guard Quenton Nelson (foot) and center Ryan Kelly (elbow) will return to practice on Monday.
- Baltimore Ravens linebacker L.J. Fort tore his ACL on Saturday against the Panthers and is out for the season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Fort had an MRI that revealed the damage, but it is a clean tear with no other damage, Rapoport added. Fort, who's also played for the Browns, Seahawks, Steelers and Eagles, played 14 games for Baltimore last season with eight starts.
- An MRI has confirmed that Atlanta Falcons quarterback AJ McCarron will miss the season after tearing his ACL in Saturday's preseason game against the Dolphins, per the team. McCarron, 30, left the game in the second quarter after suffering a non-contact injury on a handoff.
- Cleveland Browns cornerback Greedy Williams sustained a groin injury and linebacker Montrel Meander was carted off with an apparent leg injury in Sunday's game against the Giants.
- Philadelphia Eagles tight end Jason Croom was placed on the reserve/injured list.
- New York Giants defensive back Quincy Wilson was ruled out of Sunday's game against the Browns with an ankle injury.
- Los Angeles Rams running back Raymond Calais will have surgery Monday for a mid-foot fracture and is looking at a recovery of four to six months, Pelissero reported.
- Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur told reporters Sunday that the team was looking to get quarterback Jordan Love (shoulder) back into individual periods Monday before deciding on when he'll return to team drills. Linebacker Za'Darius Smith continues to deal with a back injury and LaFleur said the pass rusher wants to get back out there, but the team is being cautious and he could "potentially" miss Week 1 against the Saints.
- Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Harrison Phillips is dealing with a minor knee injury, Rapoport reported. Phillips left the Bills' preseason game against the Bears early. Initial tests suggest the injury is not considered serious but Phillips will miss some time.
- San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Maurice Hurst (ankle) has been ruled out against the Chargers. Linebacker Mychal Kendricks (toe) is questionable to return.
- The Chicago Bears placed linebacker Austin Calitro on injured reserve.
- The Philadelphia Eagles have signed tight end Cary Angeline.
- The Chicago Bears signed receiver Isaiah Coulter.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers cut their roster down to 80 players on Sunday, as they waived outside linebacker Quinton Bell, safety Nate Brooks, wide receiver T.J. Simmons and safety Lawrence White and waived/injured running back Troymaine Pope.
- The Minnesota Vikings waived receiver Warren Jackson and cornerback Dylan Mabin.
- The Philadelphia Eagles waived receiver Jhamon Ausbon and defensive back Lavert Hill.