Though the Washington Redskins just began training camp this week, they already have a notable new injury to monitor. Defensive tackle Daron Payne, the No. 13 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, is expected to miss two to three weeks while recovering with an ankle injury, coach Jay Gruden told reporters Friday.
Payne suffered the injury during Friday's practice session when a teammate stepped on his left ankle, leaving the defensive tackle in a walking boot. Gruden downplayed the injury and expressed optimism that his team's first-round selection will still contribute once he returns to the field.
"He's big, strong, physical," Gruden said, via ESPN. "He'll probably get stronger in his two weeks working out. He's in great shape, so it's not a big deal. He's already very smart, knows the defense, so he's in great shape."
Payne played his college career at Alabama under former NFL head coach Nick Saban. In his final collegiate appearance, Payne helped the Crimson Tide defeat the Georgia Bulldogs for a national title, earning a share of the game's MVP honors in the process.
Here are some other injury developments from Saturday:
- The Carolina Panthers saw starting right tackle Daryl Williams go down with a non-contact knee injury. The team later announced that Williams suffered a dislocated patella and a torn MCL in his right knee. His timeline to return is unknown, though Rapoport said the injuries are not believed to be season-ending.
- Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn told reporters that pass rusher Takk McKinley (bruise) and rookie wideout Calvin Ridley (hamstring/leg) suffered minor injuries during Saturday's practice.
- Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph revealed that linebacker Josey Jewell had a minor hamstring injury during camp.
- The Cincinnati Bengals announced that guard Christian Westerman has passed his physical. He began training camp on the active/non-football illness list.
- New York Jets running back Elijah McGuire fractured his foot and will miss an extended period after he has surgery, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Coach Todd Bowles confirmed the injury Sunday.
- Pittsburgh Steelers guard Ramon Foster left Saturday's practice on a cart after suffering a knee injury, per Rapoport. Foster is undergoing further tests. Rapoport added Foster's injury is not believed to be serious.
- Cleveland Browns offensive tackle Greg Robinson is in concussion protocol, head coach Hue Jackson said Saturday.