As their season continues its downward spiral into darkness, the Jacksonville Jaguars will be without another key offensive lineman.
Guard Andrew Norwell (ankle) is expected to miss at least a few weeks after undergoing an MRI on Monday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.
Norwell was the premier guard in last offseason's free agent class and seen as a large haul for the Jaguars. He played as such for the majority of the season. But injuries at the positions surrounding him -- most notably, left tackle Cam Robinson -- made his contributions less apparent, that is, until he too was hurt Sunday.
Norwell was carted to the locker room in the second half of Jacksonville's Week 12 loss and was seen as a candidate for injured reserve with the 3-8 Jaguars essentially out of postseason contention. Marrone confirmed that Monday, telling reporters the team will place the guard on IR, ending his season.
Elsewhere in injury news Monday:
- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is seeing a hip specialist for further evaluation of his injury, coach John Harbaugh said Monday.
- The Cincinnati Bengals placed quarterback Andy Dalton on injured reserve Monday. Dalton suffered a thumb injury that knocked him out of Sunday's loss to the Browns. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reports Dalton suffered torn ligaments in his thumb, and it's unclear if he'll need surgery at this time.
- Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry is expected to practice this week, though coach Andy Reid said the team will evaluate Berry when he arrives at the facility.
- The Los Angeles Rams officially designated cornerback Aqib Talib to return from injured reserve. Talib went on IR after suffering an ankle injury that required surgery.
- The Arizona Cardinals placed veteran kicker Phil Dawson (hip) and linebacker Josh Bynes (thumb) on injured reserve.
- Minnesota Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes suffered a hamstring injury in Sunday night's win. Mike Zimmer told reporters Monday that Rhodes' injury is "very, very mild."
- New England Patriots running back Rex Burkhead (neck) was activated off injured reserve and is designated for return.