The Oakland Raiders were excited to have Mario Edwards Jr. back after he suffered a season-ending neck injury in Week 15 last season.
After he required a cart to get back to the locker room during Friday's preseason game with the Arizona Cardinals, the Raiders have a little more hand-wringing to do before they can officially celebrate the return of their standout second-year defensive lineman.
Edwards required assistance to get off the field late in the first quarter of the Raiders' win, and then he was carted to the locker room once he got on the sideline. Coach Jack Del Rio offered no update on his injury after the game, but a team spokesman confirmed to reporters the D-lineman suffered a hip injury. He was spotted leaving the locker room on crutches.
Here are the other injuries we've been tracking Friday:
- A pair of big-name rookies had to deal with injuries in their preseason debut for the New York Giants.
New York's first- and second-round selections, cornerback Eli Apple and wide receiver Sterling Shepard, were both removed from Friday's game against the Dolphins. Apple was diagnosed with a lower leg strain, while Shepard suffered a sore groin, according to the team. However, coach Ben McAdoo after the game said both injuries weren't serious.
Apple racked up a fumble recovery before his trip to the locker room. Shepard made an Odell Beckham-esque grab for his first and only reception of the game.
- The other half of the legendary Aaron Rodgers' playoff Hail Mary was not on the field against the Browns. Wideout Jeff Janis was in the Green Bay locker room as he is recovering from jamming his fingers in a drill on Wednesday. He was seen with a big bag of ice in his right hand on Friday.
- Steelers backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski left Friday's action against the Lions with a left hamstring injury, and did not return. Offensive lineman Brian Mihalik (left knee) departed the contest early. Coach Mike Tomlin said Mihalik has a probable MCL sprain. Tomlin added that safety Ross Ventrone and linebacker Anthony Chickillo will both be evaluated after they each suffered a hamstring injury.
- Defensive end Julius Warmsley (concussion) made an early exit for the Dolphins, while safety Shamiel Gary (neck) and defensive end Chris McCain (elbow) also left in the first half.
- Rough injury night for veteran backup quarterbacks. The Browns announced Austin Davis suffered a concussion and wideout Rannell Hall suffered an ankle injury.
- Browns wide receiver Terrelle Pryor suffered a left hand injury but told reporters after the game X-rays were negative and that he's fine. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport adds that tests came back negative for Cleveland running back Isaiah Crowell (shoulder).