NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport added during Total Access that Newton is expected to play about eight to 10 snaps against the Jaguars.
Newton has yet to dress for a preseason game, but has slowly increased his throwing activity in recent practice work. He tossed the ball in team drills both Monday and Tuesday, and drew praise from area scribes for looking sharp.
Rivera told reporters he especially liked what he saw from his quarterback on Tuesday, only adding to a sense that Newton's time in bubble wrap is finally coming to and end.
Other injuries we're tracking on this Tuesday in the NFL:
- New York Giants coach Ben McAdoo said wide receiver Odell Beckham suffered an ankle sprain. McAdoo did not specify whether it is a high or low ankle sprain.
- New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower (undisclosed) returned to practice in full pads, per multiple reporters, which would mean that he is off the physically unable to perform list.
Running back Mike Gillisleetold reporters he was a full participant in Tuesday's practice. He had been limited this month with a hamstring ailment.
- The Buffalo Bills can't catch a break. Traded-for cornerback E.J. Gaines missed practice after leaving Sunday's session with a hamstring injury, per multiple reports.
- This from our very own Tom Pelissero:
- Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders who injured his shoulder in practice last week and sat out Saturday's game, returned to practice, NFL Network's James Palmer reported.
Coach Vance Joseph told reporters tight end Jake Butt (knee) will "probably" go on the regular-season PUP list, which would mean he would be out at least the first six weeks of the season.
- Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson told reporters that linebacker Jordan Hicks (quad) and defensive end Brandon Graham (elbow) are day to day.
Coach Bruce Arians told media members offensive lineman Mike Iupati has a triceps injury that will force him to miss a few days.
- New York Jets running back Matt Forte (hamstring) participated in team drills in practice for the first time since July. Todd Bowles said he is unsure whether Forte will play in the team's Week 3 preseason tilt, though Forte told ESPN his "plan" is to play. The running back also said he'll "no doubt" be ready for the Jets' season opener against the Buffalo Bills.
- Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters that linebacker Tank Carder will miss the upcoming season after suffering a torn ACL. Jackson also added that the team thinks first-round rookie tight end David Njoku (ankle) is fine and that he won't miss any time.