Marcus McNeill expressed his desire for a new contract by holding out from the San Diego Chargers. Now that he has reported to the team and been activated from the roster-exempt list, it appears a deal is near completion.
Chargers director of public relations Bill Johnston suggested Tuesday that the two sides were close.
"Nearing 5-yr deal for Marcus McNeill," Johnston tweeted. "Team always said to 73 & 83: sign tender, go to work & we'll see how it goes. It went well for Mac."
Chargers general manager A.J. Smith disputed an ESPN report that an agreement had been reached Monday.
"That's not the case," Smith told The Union-Tribune. "If there is something to report, we'll let you know."
McNeill, a restricted free agent this offseason, rejected a one-year, $3.168 million tender offer from the Chargers, then skipped training camp, all four preseason games and the first two regular-season contests. The Chargers reduced their offer to $630,000, then placed the fifth-year pro on the roster-exempt list, meaning he was required to sit out three games after signing the tender.
According to The Union-Tribune, McNeill will work with the first-team offense in practice starting Wednesday and likely will start in Sunday's game at St. Louis.