Around the NFL  

 

Jay Cutler still lacking interest from QB-needy teams

Print

Tony Romo's retirement to the broadcast booth took one quarterback out of this offseason's game of musical chairs.

Even with a dearth of capable quarterbacks on the open market and few pro-ready signal-callers in the draft, one man can't sniff a gig: Jay Cutler.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday on Good Morning Football that Cutler's market is almost zilch.

"I've had a lot of conversations with general managers or head coaches talking about where these quarterbacks are going to land and it is unbelievable that Cutler's name rarely, if ever, comes up," Rapoport said.

With Romo out of the mix and Houston heading into the draft with injury-prone Tom Savage as the starter, the Texans have been pondered as a landing spot for Cutler. But Rapoport reiterated that the Texans don't view Cutler as a fit -- he added Colin Kaepernick is also not a fit for Houston.

If Romo's retirement can't get Cutler into the game, it might never happen. That could leave the 12-year pro with one option: retirement.

"There's really only a couple starting quarterback spots that are even available," Rapoport said. "The Browns would be one. It doesn't seem like Cutler would be interested in going there. The Texans would be another. It doesn't seem they have interest in him. So Cutler may face a similar situation, actually, to Tony Romo, which is to just chill, wait, and if something happens -- some horrible camp injury, like what happened to Teddy Bridgewater last year -- maybe Cutler's name would be called. But I do know he's talked to people that he knows pretty well about retirement being a possibility. He actually might have no choice."

If the call never comes for Smokin' Jay, at least he'll walk away having given us one more lasting image.

Print