A split with Tony Romo was inevitable in Dallas, but it might not take long for the Cowboys to find a new backup for Dak Prescott.
NFL Network's Jane Slater reported former Browns quarterback Josh McCown visited with the Cowboys on Wednesday. Speaking on Good Morning Football on Wednesday, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport added the Cowboys want to make sure McCown is healthy and ready to play before potentially putting a contract in front of him. Last season, injuries limited McCown to five games.
McCown, a Texas native who played his college ball at SMU and Sam Houston State, threw for 1,100 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions for the Browns.
Here are some other free agency whispers from Wednesday:
1. The Ravens are expected to sign Cardinals safety Tony Jefferson, Rapoport reported per sources informed of the move.
2. Former Bears and Texans quarterback Brian Hoyer is headed to the San Francisco 49ers on a two-year deal, Rapoport reported. Hoyer threw for 1,445 yards, six touchdowns and zero interceptions in five starts with the Bears in 2016.
3. Before joining San Francisco, Hoyer was also mentioned in relation to the Bills and the Jets, but Buffalo solidifed its quarterback situation in 2017 by restructuring Tyrod Taylor's contract to keep him in town at a lower salary.
4. The 49ers are giving speedy wide receiver Marquise Goodwin a two-year deal worth up to $8 million, source told Rapoport.
5. Speaking of Buffalo, the Bills intend to sign former Falcons fullback Patrick DiMarco to a four-year, $8.5 million deal with more than $4 million in guarantees, Rapoport reported.
6. The Jaguars are "in the mix" on multiple top-level free agents, including guard Kevin Zeitler, cornerback A.J. Bouye and defensive end Calais Campbell, per Rapoport.
On top of that, Barry Church is expected to land in Jacksonville on a four-year deal worth more than $6 million per year, according to Rapoport.
7. The Dolphins are trying to keep impending free agent Kenny Stills, but at least three teams are still in the mix, Rapoport reported.
8. The Lions have agreed in principle to a deal with free-agent linebacker Paul Worrilow, a source informed of the move told Rapoport.
9. In non-free agency news, Rapoport learned that Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor had surgery to remove bone spurs from both ankles and is back to walking around now.
10. The band is getting back together. The Falcons have agreed with veteran quarterback and former Falcon Matt Schaub on a two-year, $8 million contract, Rapoport reported, per a source involved with the negotiations.
11. Niners are expected to sign Super Bowl XLVII MVP Malcolm Smith after the start of free agency, per Garafolo.
12. The Ravens will re-sign backup quarterback Ryan Mallett, Rapoport reported per a source informed of the move.