Super Bowl LI will go down on one of the greatest big games of all-time, flesh with legendary performances, the first overtime (and extra-period score) and one unthinkable comeback.
Aside from the already-known marks that Brady broke (most appearances, most wins by starting QB, most Super Bowl MVPs), the Patriots legend's prolific second half put him in statistical rare air, according to NFL Research.
Brady's late-game barrage led him to break numerous Super Bowl passing records, including pass attempts (62), completions (43) and passing yards (466). The four-time Super Bowl MVP also set marks in those all-time categories with 309, 207 and 2,071, respectively.
But as brilliant as the most valuable player's performance was on Sunday, it's his backup scat back who broke the most surprising records on the night.
James White's 14 receptions were the most ever in a Super Bowl and his 110 receiving yards were the most by a running back. White's three touchdowns tied the Super Bowl record, while his 20 points (three TDs, one two-pointer) broke the big game mark. White's out-of-the-backfield elusiveness was so vital to New England's victory that Brady thought he should have won the MVP.
Brady and White's dominant evenings contributed to three other marks the Patriots' offense set Sunday.
New England's clock-killing, time-grinding assault set records for most first downs (37), most passing first downs (26) and most offensive plays (93) in Super Bowl history. The Patriots' historic possession of the ball helped facilitate their record-setting 19-point fourth-quarter comeback and 25-point second-half rally.
Here are the other records set or tied in Super Bowl LI (per NFL Research):
- Most appearances by head coach: Bill Belichick (7)
- Most wins by head coach: Bill Belichick (5)
- Most career passing TD: Tom Brady (15)
- Most appearances by team: Patriots (9)
- Most first downs in a Super Bowl by both teams: Falcons and Patriots (54)
- Most passing first downs in a Super Bowl by both teams: Falcons and Patriots (39)
- Most passing yards in a Super Bowl by both teams: Falcons and Patriots (682)
- Most Super Bowl wins: Tom Brady (5)
- Most sacks in a Super Bowl (since 1982): Grady Jarrett (3)
- Most 2-point conversions in a Super Bowl: Patriots (2)
- Most 2-point conversions in a Super Bowl combined: Falcons and Patriots (2)
- Most first downs by penalty: Patriots (4)