Here's what we learned from the Dolphins' 23-3 win at MetLife Stadium:
1. Jets quarterback Geno Smith left coach Rex Ryan no choice but to put him on the bench. Smith was noncompetitive over the first two quarters, completing just four passes, missing open receivers and throwing his league-leading 19th interception before Matt Simms came on to start the second half. Ryan has a difficult choice moving forward: Simms is clearly not the franchise's answer, but Smith isn't giving the Jets a fair chance to win. For a coach on the hot seat, it can't be a pleasant decision.
As for Smith, he gave this answer when asked if he was the team's best quarterback option going forward.
"I have complete confidence in myself. Like I said, I think it's been (a) tough three weeks," Smith said. "I think I am the best option for this team."
2. Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill missed some easy throws in the first half, but his game improved dramatically in the final two quarters. He was at his best in the possession following the Jets' third-quarter field-goal drive that cut the lead to 13-3. Tannehill went 4-for-4 passing on the ensuing drive, capped by a 28-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Mike Wallace. Game over.
3. Speaking of the Wallace score, it was just a terrible tackle attempt on the play by Jets rookie cornerback Dee Milliner, who suffered through another difficult afternoon. CBS cameras captured Ryan talking to the distraught rookie, who was subsequently benched. The secondary is the weak link of New York's defense; Milliner's struggles have been a leading reason why.
4. It was a surprising afternoon in the trenches, where the Jets appeared to have a major advantage given the personnel on both sides coming in. Tannehill was sacked just once, a minor miracle given the beating he's taken all season. We'd imagine the Jets' defense being on the field for two-thirds of the game played a role.
5. Jets general manager John Idzik prefers to do most of his business in the shadows. It's best if he stays there Sunday. Two of his top three draft picks were benched. Not a good look.The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.