Wednesday's news from the world of health and safety in sports:
- USA Today looked at the attention placed on helmets in the push for greater safety in college and pro football. The article dives into the recent controversy over the Guardian Cap.
- The publication also wrote about the controversial star-rating system for helmets created by Virginia Tech.
- Oakland Raiders fullback Marcel Reese told Fox Sports that he is not thrilled with the crown of the helmet rule.
- Marc Staal, whose eye injury spurred the NHL to pass a mandatory visor rule, plans to return to the ice in training camp, the New York Rangers' website reported.
- The Moody County Enterprise in South Dakota wrote about the mandatory concussion testing the area's high school athletes face this fall.
- University of Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel underwent an emergency appendectomy Tuesday, according to USA Today.
-- Bill Bradley, contributing editor